Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are there planar-type lenses longer than 135mm for large format?

Re: Are there planar-type lenses longer than 135mm for large format?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Hmm. Might work with a Compound #5 or Ilex #5. Which shutter do you intend to use?
    My plan is to use Compound #5 shutters. The second group is 80mm diameter so it will just fit.
    Jim

Curious to see what the images might be like from this lens..
    Pictures of this lens?

Know the Compound# 5 has a 64.5mm aperture diameter with a threaded mount diameter of 82.5mm
    Been a fan of Compound shutters for decades as they are simple with a nice round iris (if needed) none owned/used has ever made the highest speed noted on the shutter dial. They are all slow by some degree. If flash is used, shutter speed accuracy is not that relevant.

Sinar shutter aperture diameter is 76.2 mm (close to the 80mm rear lens cell dia of this lens) , lens mount diameter limited by what could fit into a 140mm x 140mm square. The mechanical Copal or Norma made in Swiss version goes to 1/60 second and it is really close to that. The Sinar digital goes to 1/500 second and it really IS 1/500 second.

https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog/2015/6/compound-5

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by aphcl84 View Post
    The front element on this lens is 92mm, so rather enormous for a 180mm, my Sonnar 180mm is both smaller and lighter, the rear element is 80mm with a 104mm cell diameter so mounting in front of a Sinar shutter would mechanically restrict the image circle and the lens lacks a aperture adjustment. I don't feel that a Sinar shutter would give me the performance that I want and I don't own a Sinar camera anyway. For me it's easier to machine a couple lens cells and mount it in a normal shutter. For portraiture I would be using it the same way that 178mm Aero-Ektars have been used of late, but with this lens the bokeh is far smoother.

Would be so great if a solid market for all things LF still existed...to think of the products - like a new series (in response to this thread) of fully coated Planar LF lenses, a new series of compact LF lenses, and further developments of already promising optics like the Cooke PS-945 and Apo Sironar S and W series lenses, as well as continuations of some venerable older optics like the later series of Goerz/Kern Trigors and Red Dot Apo-Artars, Nikkors, et al. And this...to say nothing of parallel sentiments for film, paper and other darkroom stuff - with the possible exception that chemistries do keep up, partly because of their DIY accessability/viability.

Yes, I know...the real world will currently not support any of the above - but I can dream!

IMO, the era for this LF sheet film view camera stuff is history, done. Only what remains today is the current reality and what can be applied to produce images. Personally, very fortunate to have lived in that era when this sheet film view camera stuff was at it's zenith and very common. All that is in the past now.. Brings up this written memory of the San Francisco South of Market foto district and how the hub of all that activity happened at The New Lab..
    http://christianpeacock.com/christia...ant-to-us.html

And this:
    https://forum.luminous-landscape.com...hp?topic=35222

Adding to these memories, met two neighbors that were part of all that in the SF foto district back then, we have plans to share memories over espresso some time soon..

Lenses will be around for along time if they are properly cared for, view cameras due to their innate mechanical design/construction can be fixed and made good with varying degrees of effort, film holders can last good if properly cared for, film and related materials are the real issue for the future of this LF sheet film camera stuff.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Would be so great if a solid market for all things LF still existed...to think of the products - like a new series (in response to this thread) of fully coated Planar LF lenses, a new series of compact LF lenses, and further developments of already promising optics like the Cooke PS-945 and Apo Sironar S and W series lenses, as well as continuations of some venerable older optics like the later series of Goerz/Kern Trigors and Red Dot Apo-Artars, Nikkors, et al. And this...to say nothing of parallel sentiments for film, paper and other darkroom stuff - with the possible exception that chemistries do keep up, partly because of their DIY accessability/viability.

Yes, I know...the real world will currently not support any of the above - but I can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Curious to see what the images might be like from this lens..
    Pictures of this lens?

Know the Compound# 5 has a 64.5mm aperture diameter with a threaded mount diameter of 82.5mm
    Been a fan of Compound shutters for decades as they are simple with a nice round iris (if needed) none owned/used has ever made the highest speed noted on the shutter dial. They are all slow by some degree. If flash is used, shutter speed accuracy is not that relevant.

Sinar shutter aperture diameter is 76.2 mm (close to the 80mm rear lens cell dia of this lens) , lens mount diameter limited by what could fit into a 140mm x 140mm square. The mechanical Copal or Norma made in Swiss version goes to 1/60 second and it is really close to that. The Sinar digital goes to 1/500 second and it really IS 1/500 second.

https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog/2015/6/compound-5

Bernice
    My lenses are currently stored, since I'm in the process of moving, but the lens is a LOMO OKP2-180-1, there are some photos online of them, I had also considered using a Compur Electronic 5FS if I could just find one to repair or replace mine, I really like that shutter but they seem to be very rare. The Copal 3 would actually just work aperture wise but the lens elements are physically larger than the mounting threads.
    Jim

The f4.5 Tessar have been mentioned as an alternative to the Planars. For what it's worth, I absolutely love the rendering of my 180mm Jena (Zeiss East German) version, which I got from a member here for a very reasonable price, complete with SK Grimes caps and custom mounted by them in a Linhof-style board. In this instance, the out-of-focus rendering from the round aperture in the dial-set Compur shutter seems to persist we'll into the smaller apertures. The lens is prone to flare when pointed into the light (a coating issue, I would guess) but makes lovely photos in lower-contrast and front-lit situations. Hope this helps.

Camellia by William Poole, on Flickr
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."