Thread: Sinar X arrives! And a question on a Sinar part

Sinar X arrives! And a question on a Sinar part

Thanks for the collective wisdom of this forum I decided on a Sinar X with a Nikon W 180mm f/5.6. And it arrived today! Here it is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CA5DD73-A47E-42CC-A5F6-355EF8B8D233.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	233613

In the case, Among other trinkets, like a multipurpose standard, a broken P front standard, extra Clamp, extension rail, I found this:

Name:	E002CD20-AE0B-458D-96C9-DA3FB2225250.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	233612

It appears to be a metal collar, and unscrews into two. The third ring on the table has screw threads but does not seem to fit into the main one which is in my hand. Any idea what this might be for?

Apologies, I don’t seem to be able to rotate the images.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Re: Sinar X arrives! And a question on a Sinar part

Could be part of the later Sinar digital/P3 or related system, possible lens adapter of some kind.

For wrist watch photography, consider using a Sinar F or similar Sinar module as a platform for supporting the wrist watch. Key here is to put the whole set up on the Sinar rail, that way subject and camera moves together reducing the very common macro/micro foto problem of vibration and stability of the set up.
    A sheet of clear or frosted glass 140mm x 140mm x about 2mm thick can be used in place of a lens board if back lighting of the wrist watch to be photographed could be part of the lighting scheme. ELinchrom made a "fiber light" system that was designed and intended for small objects. The kit has a strobe head adapter with three holes for fiber optic light pipes and various adapters, focusing lens, color/polarizer filter cutter that makes small disc to fit between the fiber optic light pipe and lens if needed. Fiber optic ring lights that are often used for stereo microscope illumination can be adapted to this Elinchrom or your current lighting system. Volpi, Schott, Dolan Jenner and many others make fiber optic light pipes (large variety) and fiber optic ring lights. There are a variety of LED ring lights available today. There were also a number of ring strobe heads made such as the old Hasselblad which is adapted to a specific strobe power source. Once the macro set up is done, the most difficult aspect of macro/micro images is lighting.. often under appreciated how difficult this can be.

Lens wise, 180mm Nikko W is a common modern Plasmat, it will absolutely get you going on this. To achieve 1:1 "life size, about 2x the focal length of camera/bellows extension will be needed. Don't forget to add bellows factor, in the case of 1:1 "life size that will be 2 f-stops.. Small object images are better served with a reverse mounted enlarging lens, Macro specific lenses in shutter like the Schneider M componon, short focal length APO process lenses like APO ronar, APO artar and such, or a number of speciality macro/micro lenses. ~~ Sinar shutter, hint-hint~~

In all examples, plenty of Sinar rail extensions, proper rail support, plenty of Sinar modules as needed.. Could end up with a set up like the one in this video, in place of the DSLR, a film back would be used:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU8ozo1ubfc

Example from Sinar info# 34 titled extreme view camera applications:

Name:	Sinar Macro-1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	233627

Name:	Sinar Macro-2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	233628

Sinar system makes an excellent macro/micro image system due to it's modularity, been there done this lots.
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pchong View Post

In the case, Among other trinkets, like a multipurpose standard, a broken P front standard, extra Clamp, extension rail, I found this:

Name:	E002CD20-AE0B-458D-96C9-DA3FB2225250.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	233612

It appears to be a metal collar, and unscrews into two. The third ring on the table has screw threads but does not seem to fit into the main one which is in my hand. Any idea what this might be for?

Apologies, I don’t seem to be able to rotate the images.

Thanks Bernice. I don’t think the part would come from a P3…I know the studio where I bought the X from, and the Is is the only view camera they have. But I am not sure. They don’t know what part is that either.

I will probably get used to the camera first by shooting less challenging subjects…likely to start with portraits and perhaps some architecture (I know, most common lens for architecture is 90mm, but I will start with perhaps partial buildings). I have ordered a box of inexpensive BW film to test and get the muscle memory for the dance around the camera.

Btw, do you have higher res images of the Sinar Information No.34? I looked at the Piotr Dynewski site, he stops at 31.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Rofin-Sinar is a producer of industrial lasers for materials processing. Over the years I have acquires a one or two "Sinar" parts that I could never ID. Best I could figure out was that they were not Photo related parts but (Rofin) Sinar parts labeled with the label "Sinar" but not with additional "Rofin" label. On close inspection the font used was very similar to the font used by Photographic Sinar.

First BTS...dry shooting...I am waiting for film to arrive. So just look through the ground glass, practice the movements.

From my balcony overlooking D'Leedon, a beautiful condominium project designed by the late Zaha Hadid.

Name:	dleedon.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	233636

I did a watch shoot for publication, and after completing the shoot with my regular GFX 50S II + Hasselblad HC 4/120, decided to take a look at the setup through the Sinar X. 9 degrees of tilt was used to get the entire watch in focus at f/5.6. The asymmetric tilt is quite useful. Focus on the far point of the Tissot logo, placed close to the tilt line, tilt the rear standard to focus on the PRX text.The watch sits on a holder, and is tilted back. Read off the angle, transfer to front standard. Tiny adjustment on rear standard. That's it. Magnification is about 1:1, and I am at full bellows draw on the base plus short extension. Camera as shown:

Name:	watch-shoot.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	233637

No film, so just a view of the ground glass taken with my iphone.

Name:	tissot-prx-chrono.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	233638
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Btw, any idea if the serial number can be used to date the camera? I am wondering when my X is manufactured.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore

Thanks for sharing Peter,

Example of how easy it can be to use/apply Sinar's asymmetrical camera movements on a P. Using a 180mm lens at about 1:1 life-size results in about 360mm of bellows/camera extension. Standard Sinar bellows allows about 460mm of overall camera extension from lens board to ground glass adding rails as needed. If more camera/bellows extension is needed, add another sinar standard with another bellows. Do consider using a compendium lens shade as it will help lots to reduce stray light improving image contrast. Most basic is to use the Sinar bellows clips on a 7mm hex filter rod and spare Sinar bellows.

Name:	Sinar, basic bellows shade.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	233652

Bernice

Thanks again Bernice. I do have the rod and shade clips and can use my extra bellows for that. Will do!

Interestingly, I measured only about 150mm from mid of the front standard to mid of the rear at infinity on my 180mm Nikkor. I had expected 180mm.

And the magnification as shown I used up all the extension I have with the base rail and 150mm extension rail. The counter sub dial on the Tissot PRX Chronograph has a 10mm diameter, and it measures approximately 10mm, one segment on the ground glass…so 1X magnification. But bellows was probably close to 450mm.

I will try this again to confirm, but I just packed up the Sinar as I need to use the tripod and head for another shoot with an Alpa STC this afternoon.
    Peter Chong
    Singapore