Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Portrait lenses

Portrait lenses

I would love to know what all you portrait photographers use on your 4x5, do you use a 210mm ? do you use a 240mm ?. Tell my what particular lens and brand you love for portraits and show me some of you work with that lens, i would love to see it.

Re: Portrait lenses

I have never had anything for portraits but a 210, supplemented about a year ago with a 135. The 4x5 portraits in the Portraits Album on my Flickr page were made with it, which is all except for My Mentor, Dr. Wills, Pierre, My Daughter, and the self-portait, the first two of which are 35, the last three 645.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    I have never had anything for portraits but a 210, supplemented about a year ago with a 135. The 4x5 portraits in the Portraits Album on my Flickr page were made with it, which is all except for My Mentor, Dr. Wills, Pierre, My Daughter, and the self-portrait, the first two of which are 35, the last three 645.
    Nice work Philip, really like the ballerina shots.

This question has been discussed a lot lately -- so you should search this FORUM. The answer is that everyone has their favorite, and it's a personal decision -- just like what camera, film, developer, paper, etc. to use.

I personally like a 25r0mm unless I need a wider angle.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

My two personal favorites for portraiture: Fujinon SF 250 and Kodak Commercial Ektar 12 inch.

Edit: I could post an example of each but they are really lousy scans (probably of proofsheet/prints) and i'd probably be completely embarrassed for the rest of my life if I did. Edit2: Okay, I'll live with the embarrassment... these are really ugly scans but you should get the point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brendan __ resized.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	233624

Kodak Commercial Ektar, 12-inch. 4x5 Cambo. Natural light from South-facing window

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matt___cropped.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	233625

Fujinon SF 250 (Yellow disk). 4x5 Cambo. Natural light from South-facing window

"Modern" plasmat lenses are much too clinical of a look for me. But if I did, it wouldn't matter whether it was a 210 or 240 as the biggest difference would be a bit of working space between camera and sitter.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 13-Dec-2022 at 11:15.

Low Key Portrait Tim Kelly portrait lighting by Nokton48, on Flickr

Robert needed a strong "head shot". Low Key Tim Kelly lighting. 4x6 foot Chimera Softbox Broncolor Impact 41 monolight 90 left degrees to the set, lighting everything. A smaller Chimera 3x4 Softbox Impact 41 monolight 45 degrees camera left one stop brighter in closer as a main light. A passive fill panel right, just right out of the frame 4x8 foamcore hinged together. A standard reflector raw hard light camera back left, creating the rimlight from the backline. Dark Grey Muslin behind. A successful head shot low key. 4x5 Sinar Norma, 240mm F9 Norma Apo Ronar gives an almost clinical look. Ilford HP5 D76 1:1 8x10 fibre print on Fortezo #2 silver gelatin paper Dektol dev Omega DD laser aligned 180mm black Rodagon
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Scott Davis

On 4x5 I've shot a lot of 210 for portraits - mostly a Sinaron 210 f/5.6. Any modern 210 f5.6 plasmat lens will do just fine, regardless of brand. A 10" Kodak Commercial Ektar also makes a very nice option, if your camera has enough bellows to focus it at portrait distance. What camera do you have? That will guide recommendations as much as anything else... well, that and the kind of portraits you want to make. If you want sharp, clear, highly detailed portraits, then one of those aforementioned 210 plasmats in a Copal 1 shutter will do just fine, and work very nicely as a general purpose lens as well. If you want expressive, soft-focus portraits, that is an entirely different animal.

Also, do you have a budget in mind? If you have a limited budget, then a modern lens is your best option. If you have a flexible budget, there are a lot of mid-century lenses (like those Commercial Ektars) that will be great options. If you have a very generous budget, then you can start looking at some more exotic glass like a Cooke Series II in the 8-12" range or a Dallmeyer lens, or one of the 305mm Kodak Portrait lenses.

You can also make your own -- in any focal lengths you want.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/softfocus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    Nice work Philip, really like the ballerina shots.
    Thank you. They are all 35mm of course, made during studio and dress rehearsals.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/