At one time it was quite common for photographers to use Polaroid for test exposures before committing to exposing the final negative or transparency. Now digital photography is ubiquitous and those of us exposing film with large cameras are a distinct minority. But since large negatives can be expensive, there's still value in test exposures with something cheaper, i.e. digital.

I'm curious as to how many large format photographers make test exposures with a digital camera to confirm exposure and to check all the details in the frame.

Personally, I tend to use either my digital camera (for my professional jobs and some personal work) or my large format camera. I want to be able to trust my ability to meter a scene and see the details without an intermediate digital test exposure. At the same time, I'm very tempted to do digital tests particularly in the studio to confirm that I'm happy with my lighting.

I ask the question in the digital processing arena because I couldn't find a better forum for it.