Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Warmtone Fiber Paper Silver Halides?

Ilford Warmtone Fiber Paper Silver Halides?

Does anyone know the type of silver halides used in the current Ilford Warmtone Fiber paper?

I am guessing that Ilford would not disclose this information, but I may be wrong.

I am trying to understand if it is predominantly a chloro-bromide type of emulsion, which I doubt it is, but I wanted to check with the group here and see what we know about the halides used to make this paper.

I am on this journey because I am trying different warmtone papers for contact printing and enlargements.

Thank you,

Larry

Re: Ilford Warmtone Fiber Paper Silver Halides?

Chlorobromide. All of Ilford’s papers are based on chlorobromide (in different proportions plus other chemicals of course). Possibly even some iodide but obviously the full set of constituents of each emulsion aren’t disclosed.

Virtually all, or all enlarging papers are chlorobromide. In the past there were some “bromide” papers, although they may have also had chloride components.

Chloride is much slower so it is reserved for contact papers such as Adox Lupex.

I would not worry about it and just use it or not based on how it looks and whether or not you can get what you want out of it. There’s too much else going on in contemporary emulsions to make simple statements about the halide mix in relation to a paper’s sensitometry, colour, toning properties etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Does anyone know the type of silver halides used in the current Ilford Warmtone Fiber paper?

I am guessing that Ilford would not disclose this information, but I may be wrong.

I am trying to understand if it is predominantly a chloro-bromide type of emulsion, which I doubt it is, but I wanted to check with the group here and see what we know about the halides used to make this paper.

I am on this journey because I am trying different warmtone papers for contact printing and enlargements.

Thank you,

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post

Thank you,

Larry
    Try the Fomatone Classic. Its the closest thing to Agfa Portriga Rapid that's still made.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Try the Fomatone Classic. Its the closest thing to Agfa Portriga Rapid that's still made.
    I am helping a friend of mine, and I told him to get some of the Foma paper on order earlier today, actually.

I thought comparing an obvious choice like the Foma 131 Classic FB to a standard, and less likely paper like the Ilford WT FB might be good to see the differences.

I am excited to see how this turns out.

Thanks for that tip about Fomatone Classic. Portriga Rapid was my favourite paper back in the day, and I wasn't aware that there was anything similar still available.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Thanks for that tip about Fomatone Classic. Portriga Rapid was my favourite paper back in the day, and I wasn't aware that there was anything similar still available.
    I have printed the same negative on both (old stock) Portriga Rapid and Fomatone Classic, and the prints are nearly identical. It selenium tones in a similar way too.

Really? WOW! I really miss Agfa Portriga Rapid! I will have to order some Fomatone Classic
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Really? WOW! I really miss Agfa Portriga Rapid! I will have to order some Fomatone Classic
    I'm a bit surprised that few people know about this!

I have printed the same negative on both (old stock) Portriga Rapid and Fomatone Classic, and the prints are nearly identical. It selenium tones in a similar way too.
    That's really good news, thanks again. I used to use Kodak Selectol developer, but I don't see it any more either. Is there a current alternative for that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    That's really good news, thanks again. I used to use Kodak Selectol developer, but I don't see it any more either. Is there a current alternative for that as well?
    I do have some Photographer's Formulary Selectol Soft kits

Here it is ready to go: https://stores.photoformulary.com/td...selectol-soft/
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain