Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help finding the right 8x10 camera/lens for a silly project...

Re: Help finding the right 8x10 camera/lens for a silly project...

Lens focal length will decide camera choice.

Few lenses in a# 1 shutter will cover 8x10 and they will be of short_ish focal length.
    Majority of 8x10 lenses will be in a# 3 shutter or larger.

Typical copal# 1 shutter tops out about 1/400 sec and they are typically never 1/400 sec.

Typical copal# 3 shutter tops out about 1/125 sec and they are typically never 1/125 sec.
    Exception being a Electronic Compur# 3 which tops out at 1/200 and is typically 1/200 sec.

Essentially, lens choice drives camera and know 8x10 lens choices are limited, often Very limited..

Curious, why 8x10 and what possible advantages could 8x10 offer your image goals?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by The Loam Ranger View Post
    Bernice - as I mentioned in the original post, I've shot 4x5 quite extensively, so the process is not new to me. I do fully realize that going to 8x10 makes everything bigger and heavier, which I am okay with (I'll have an assistant with me to help manage the load).

Any rugged 8x10 bodies you would suggest for something like this? I don't need every movement available, just basic front standard movements, really.

Alphax/ Betax #5 shutters top out at 1/50 sec, which is usually 'optimistic'...

There’s a Walker Titan XL currently in the Classified section that I might take a look at (no connection with the seller)—they have a reputation for bomber construction, and the ABS furniture might be a little easier to keep clean. A bit bellows limited, but if you are working wide angles it might be your huckleberry. At any rate I hope you share part of your project here when all is said and done…

I am reminded of an ancient workshop that Richard Misrach was one of the faculty. He showed that he could use that 8x10 (Deardorf, I believe) better than the best with a 4x5. The desert fire series took some quick 8x10 work.

I missed anything about the film you wish to use -- color or B&W.

I think a Kodak 2D that is still a solid beast would be the tool to use. Not light, but I assume you are not an old fart like most of us. Minus point -- lacks some front movements. But folds up with the lens on it and the design is relatively easy to carry over one's shoulder on a tripod if/when you need to set up NOW. Have a shoulder-bag for the holders, and nothing but the tripod legs have to hit the ground.

I use a similar camera, but 5x7. I put the darkcloth over the camera and then a waterproof stuff sack over the cloth and camera to keep out dust and to protect the bellows from branches, etc. Wood tends to give a little and returns, rather than deform.

A point-and-shoot 8x10 of some kind might be nice to have as a back-up (as well as extra ground glass!)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Make a wire frame finder and do some panning…could be great!

Been there, done that
    A Gowland Aerial 8x10 might be your huckleberry.
    https://www.petergowland.com/gowlandflex-cameras
    Nikon f/9 300M on the snout shot wide open. Just a box camera really, you could make one out of plywood (or aluminum, like Peter Gowland did)
    Who needs a tripod? Set it on the ground or a boulder---plenty stable. Prefocused for infinity, use the sports finder for framing handheld, or the ground glass if you're taking your sweet time. Protect your film holders from dust in plastic zip locks (Jumbo-sized) from the dollar store.
    Terrific for night photography in the desert, too

The Stars Go Over The Lonely Ocean
    by Robinson Jeffers

Unhappy about some far off things
    That are not my affair, wandering
    Along the coast and up the lean ridges,
    I saw in the evening
    The stars go over the lonely ocean,
    And a black-maned wild boar
    Plowing with his snout on Mal Paso Mountain.

The old monster snuffled, "Here are sweet roots,
    Fat grubs, slick beetles and sprouted acorns.
    The best nation in Europe has fallen,
    And that is Finland,
    But the stars go over the lonely ocean,"
    The old black-bristled boar,
    Tearing the sod on Mal Paso Mountain.

"The world's in a bad way, my man,
    And bound to be worse before it mends;
    Better lie up in the mountain here
    Four or five centuries,
    While the stars go over the lonely ocean,"
    Said the old father of wild pigs,
    Plowing the fallow on Mal Paso Mountain.

"Keep clear of the dupes that talk democracy
    And the dogs that talk revolution,
    Drunk with talk, liars and believers.
    I believe in my tusks.
    Long live freedom and damn the ideologies,"
    Said the gamey black-maned boar
    Tusking the turf on Mal Paso Mountain.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you have a friend who deals in electronics, see if they have any pink (anti-static) ziplock bags for the holders.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Exception being a Electronic Compur# 3 which tops out at 1/200 and is typically 1/200 sec.

Bernice
    Electronic Compur's are not liked for some reason. I have several in #3 and #1. The #1 tops out at 1/500 sec. Since they have only one mechanical speed (the maximum speed) and slower speeds are controlled by 1960's electronics i.e. resistors and capacitors. If you find one make sure the contacts and battery housing are really clean. That is the one weakness of these shutters.
    Last edited by linhofbiker; 9-Dec-2022 at 21:15.

Fotoman 810PS point and shoot?
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Lion and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!