Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewfinder for shooting on a 8X10

Viewfinder for shooting on a 8X10

Wondering if someone on here could give me some advice; I'm looking for a viewfinder that could assist me in shooting on my 8x10 to help me compose shots before I pull the camera out. Is there one that you like using that is still available on the used market? I would appreciate any recommendations.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Re: Viewfinder for shooting on a 8X10

There are zooming viewfinders, but they don't have to be specific to any particular film format. In other words, one that works for 35mm cameras will work just as well for 4x5" cameras -- you'll have to "adjust" the focal lengths to the format being used, of course. I've never seen a list of these -- in any format -- let alone a comprehensive list for all formats. Most of the ones I've seen have shoes so they can fit into camera flash shoes. I'm sure others that use them will have some brands to search for. I know Horseman made/sold one, and there are others used by cinematographers that are hand-held. Also, like zoom lenses, they vary in their coverage. I've never used one, but I can see their usefulness.

I've made my own DIY previewer -- as many others have. That's how I got the idea! I always carry a 8x10" grey card with me, and I've cut out a 4x5" section in the middle (I've attached it with a piece of tape, so I can use it for normal metering, etc.). I lift up the 4x5" flap and move the 8x10" grey forward and back while looking through it -- to get the perspective I want. At the same time, I have a small, cloth tape measure to indicate the focal length lens closest to that perspective. I've also attached a Wratten #90 (?) filter to mine that allows me to preview the scene in B&W.
    Last edited by xkaes; 6-Dec-2022 at 08:59.

https://www.alanranger.com/photograp...viewing-frames

or make one

or buy one from our member the Naked Photographer real name on youtube

He never shows the donuts

or, I like wire finders

I have a few LINHOF fold down wire finders that are actually very sophisticated

Graflex also made many
    Tin Can

Ian Martin

If you have an iPhone, I recommend an app simply called Viewfinder. You can set the film format, focal length, and there’s even a rudimentary light meter (although I would never use it). You can also set custom film formats and focal lengths.

Linhof made various finders that you can find on the used market, but they aren't cheap. You could make your own out of mat board. If you have an iPhone, in addition to the app mentioned above you may want to look at Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. This app isn't inexpensive and may be overkill, but it's quite sophisticated.

Piece of card board with a rectangular (to image ratio) cut out works. It is simple to make, low cost and surprisingly effective. Close one eye, move the viewing board towards the eye for shorter focal length, away from the eye for longer focal length. What this method cannot do is preview or simulate the near-far effects of changes in lens focal length. To achieve this, an optical system is needed. The "Directors Viewfinder" is specifically designed to meet this need. They are typically used by cinema/video folks to plan a given shot, from lens focal length to camera placement and camera movement progression.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/D...4/N/4028759376

None of these methods are "8X10" or sheet film size specific, they are image ratio specific. What works for 8x10 does much the same except for lens focal length for 4x5, 6x7 and...

Specific to 8x10, know the lens focal length choices are limited due to the innate limitations of lenses/optics with an image circle suitable for 8x10. This reality of 8x10 will limit the specific needs of any viewing aid.

Bernice

+1 for Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. The only real downside with it is you have to make sure your Phone has a wide enough angle lens to actually show you the proper view when shooting on wide angle lenses. It may compel you to upgrade your phone or buy an accessory lens for your phone camera

Might be better to develop the ability to see/know what lens focal length is needed for a specific image. This also figures into camera position, film exposure and all related to the print image goals..

Practice and innate talent/gift applies here. Viewing aids are learning aids towards these goals.

Bernice

I consider cell phones too big a distraction

Turn them off, chat with sitter

Wine after

Then shut up and concentrate

I practice setup for days before any sitter
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    +1 for Mark II Artist's Viewfinder. The only real downside with it is you have to make sure your Phone has a wide enough angle lens to actually show you the proper view when shooting on wide angle lenses. It may compel you to upgrade your phone or buy an accessory lens for your phone camera
    Yeah, I had to use an external wide lens with my old iPhone, but now with the iPhone 14 Pro all my wide angles are covered by the native lenses in the phone.