So I was going through a local thrift store today and I saw a large Calimar hard case. Being curious I opened it and it contained a Sinar view camera.

It's Swiss, it's in a hard case and zip-tied to the handle are the keys and a price tag saying $119.99.

Then it gets better, at the checkout it gives me a cyber monday 50% discount so my total with tax was around $65.

Then it gets better still. On the right side of the case there is the rail clamp, two shutter release cables (one locking for long exposures), a couple boxes with plastics in them (one like a periscope) and a Polaroid back.

In the middle there is the camera with lens and it seems to be the hood and a light proof bag for loading film cartridges underneath.

On the left there is an 8x Afga Loupe, an anti-static lens brush, a bunch of film cartridges and a spare lens board with lens.

Do you hate me yet?

It seems like a pretty complete setup, the only thing I notice missing is a rail extension but it seems like those go for $40-60 used pretty often.

Any way, I have wanted to use a field camera since the 1990s but digital photography quickly became affordable and my last few cameras were a Sony A7ii and a Sony a5100, both MILC cameras with E-mount lenses, pretty nice but not pro level by any means.

I will probably give this camera a shot and depending on how much fun I have, I'll either keep it or see if I can sell it for a profit.

I haven't really identified all the pieces to determine the model or age but looking at Google, it seems like a used body goes for around $200 without the case, lenses, Polaroid back, etc., so I think I've got at least $400 worth of camera on my hands, not bad for $65.