Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Re: Broncolor Flash Pack Bonanza

Adox Ortho PL25 5x7 Norma MicX 360 Apo Ronar by Nokton48, on Flickr

5x7 Sinar Norma #2 360mm F9 Rodenstock Apo Ronar barrel at F11 Adox 5x7 Ortho PL25 Yellow filter Broncolor C200 1500WS Monolight popped eight times into Broncolor Octobox 150 with supplemental diffusion. 4x6 foot foamcore fill right just out of the frame. Legacy Mic-X straight replenished mixed in 2019. 5x7 Contact Print on Arista RC #2 Dektol 1:2 . I shot one frame at four pops, and one at eight pops. The denser neg looks better to me. Canvas background is "Tim Kelly Gold Plaster" painted for me by Artist David Maheu. This is EXACTLY why I NEED big strobes for large format. Shooting at EI 12.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 23-Dec-2023 at 08:18.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Very nice.

Good job.

Thanks Bill!

Good to hear from you again

― Mark Twain

I had to stop looking as there are too many fantastic deals. I'm into Norman and found complete 2KW, 2 head sets with a large assortment of modifiers for as little as $180 delivered. I'm up to 15KW, 5KW radio controlled 10KW on optical slave. I shoot digital at iso 64 and could do wet plate or very large interiors balanced to daylight. About 20% is in permanent setups. If I want to illustrate something, I just have to turn on a power pack. The rest is in totes ready to go.

Hello all

I have now also taken the plunge and purchased a used Broncolor flash unit, consisting of:

1 x Grafit A4 / 3200 J generator

1 x Pulso F4 3200 J and 1 x Pulso F2 1600 J flash lamp

As well as various accessories such as umbrella, reflector, light tripod etc.

Maybe someone of you can answer the following detail question:

The Pulso F flash lights have a metal spigot with a diameter of about 18 mm.

What would be the counterpart to this on a light stand? How can I use this metal spigot directly without a transition piece or thread?
    For example On the Manfrotto Heavy Duty tripod, there are 2 receptacles:

One with a diameter of about 16 mm and one with about 30 mm.
    The Pulso spigot is too small in diameter for the 30 mm opening....

Thank you for your support / ideas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manfrotto_Pulso.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	239101

Hi NormaN,

I am not familar with the Grafit pack, but I know it is an uber fine professional unit and will serve you well. I am familiar with Pulso 2 and Pulso 4 heads, and have a few of each. The Pulso Heads were their top of the line units at one time.

Regarding your Pulso head mounting issues, I can tell you this. Your first picture looks to me like the upper part of a very large Manfrotto light stand. You will need the proper Manfrotto pieces to ADAPT the Pulso unit to your Manfrotto stand. In your second picture you have the Broncolor mounting post necessary to fit the Pulso mechanism, which clamps the head tightly down after adjusting it. I have some Broncolor Light Stands that have that same Broncolor mounting post, to which you can directly mount the Pulso Flash Heads.

So you will need whatever Manfrotto pieces will adapt your Broncolor Heads, to what looks to me like the upper part of a massive Manfrotto Stand. Where are you located, B&H in New York City has a complete line of Manfrotto parts, and can advise you what to purchase to cobble together what you have. The post piece you have look to me like made by Broncolor, you need the proper adapter to fit your specific stand.

I hope this helps you You have acquired acquired some of the world's finest lighting equipment! Congrats!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...tand%20adapter

If you search here, you can probably figure out which parts you need to complete your Manfrotto Stands. That is a massive light stand!

You might be missing one of the poles that go into the top of the light stand. Not sure what to say about that.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NormaN View Post
    Hello all

I have now also taken the plunge and purchased a used Broncolor flash unit, consisting of:

1 x Grafit A4 / 3200 J generator

1 x Pulso F4 3200 J and 1 x Pulso F2 1600 J flash lamp

As well as various accessories such as umbrella, reflector, light tripod etc.

Maybe someone of you can answer the following detail question:

The Pulso F flash lights have a metal spigot with a diameter of about 18 mm.

What would be the counterpart to this on a light stand? How can I use this metal spigot directly without a transition piece or thread?
    For example On the Manfrotto Heavy Duty tripod, there are 2 receptacles:

One with a diameter of about 16 mm and one with about 30 mm.
    The Pulso spigot is too small in diameter for the 30 mm opening....

Thank you for your support / ideas

Name:	Manfrotto_Pulso.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	239101
    The smaller hole in the first picture should have a 5/8 inch Spud in it that slides up and locks with the t handle screw. If that spud is missing you can buy a 5/8" spud from B&H and others. 5/8" is a standard size on most Light Stands and boom arms and is just a bit smaller than 18mm.

Hello Daniel and Mal Paso

Thank you very much for your comments.
    I am in Zurich, Switzerland (Broncolor Land :-) ).

I already have 2 light stands with the baby spigots and thread. I just need to screw the strobes on a 3/8 thread (which I don't like so much). The example photo I posted is of a Manfrotto tripod. I initially thought it would be more suitable. I have now learned that the large opening is for a "junior spigot". Did not buy the tripods now.

I think I will use a "Manfrotto 016 Broncolor adapter":

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_Adapter.html

About the Broncolor "Grafit": I think this is the predecessor model of the current "Scoro"
    The unit has about 11'000 flashes on the counter. It was produced somewhere between 1996 and 2012

I am curious about the first tests. I hope the 3200J will be enough for 8x10....

Unfortunately I don't have a studio but have to set up the system in the living room and probably have to darken the windows.

Name:	broncolor-grafit-a4-blitzausrustung.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	239131

4,000 Watts at iso 64 is about f16 using softboxes on a 3x3x3 meter set. More efficient modifiers can stretch that.

Inky Dinky strobes are golden for close range photography. Here's another example. I dragged this Broncolor C171 Monolight 375J, out of the basement of MPEX, cost me Forty Bucks back then. Has served me well for decades.

Shell Sweep Table Makina IIIR PanF D23 1to1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Shell FOBA Sweep Table Broncolor C171 375J olde Broncolor Beauty Light Plaubel Makina IIIR with 100mm F4.2 Orthometar. The sharp, not soft (uber rare) Makina lens. Yellow Makina Filter. PanF+ in Makina 6x9cm 120 back D23 1:1. 8x10 Arista RC #2 Dektol 1:2 Omega DII laser aligned 180mm black Rodagon. Handheld

― Mark Twain