Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curled ILFORD paper

Curled ILFORD paper

Whan I spend $133 for 100 sheets of paper..... am I wrong to expect it to be FLAT?
    The box won't close, the whole pack is arched...... is this just the way it is, now?
    It's a pain in the arse in the trays, and I have to put them in the press to flatten them out, after they are dry.
    Anyone else have this problem with ILFORD..... from B&H?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7071.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	234086

Re: Curled ILFORD paper

There’s typically some curl, yes. I’ve never had a problem during processing as it flattens out as soon as it is thoroughly wet. Variables such as temperature or ambient humidity (once opened) can affect this.

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    Whan I spend $133 for 100 sheets of paper..... am I wrong to expect it to be FLAT?
    The box won't close, the whole pack is arched...... is this just the way it is, now?
    It's a pain in the arse in the trays, and I have to put them in the press to flatten them out, after they are dry.
    Anyone else have this problem with ILFORD..... from B&H?
    In the past 45 years, I have yet to purchase a box of FB paper that was not moderately to severely curled. This is not new.

This is just one of the challenges with fiber-base paper that we have to deal with if we want the look and quality associated with it.

If you want flat paper, you can get RC paper, but then, it's not going to look and feel the same as fiber-base.

Weight helps, as does taping the box closed after you're done with the printing session. The paper will flatten out in the tray after it has got completely wet. You might try submerging it into the developer emulsion-side-down and then flipping the print after it's wet. Also, don't skimp on developer in the tray; use enough to make getting the print submerged quickly a non-problem.

FWIW, not all fiber-base papers curl quite so much as your example. Still, I've never had a box of fiber-base paper that wasn't curled a bit.

Finished prints curl too, and need to be flattened and/or mounted for display. That's just the nature of the beast.

Best,

Doremus

For what it’s worth, RC curls too. It’s just typically not typically as rigid as DW FB.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    This is just one of the challenges with fiber-base paper that we have to deal with if we want the look and quality associated with it.

If you want flat paper, you can get RC paper, but then, it's not going to look and feel the same as fiber-base.

Weight helps, as does taping the box closed after you're done with the printing session. The paper will flatten out in the tray after it has got completely wet. You might try submerging it into the developer emulsion-side-down and then flipping the print after it's wet. Also, don't skimp on developer in the tray; use enough to make getting the print submerged quickly a non-problem.

FWIW, not all fiber-base papers curl quite so much as your example. Still, I've never had a box of fiber-base paper that wasn't curled a bit.

Finished prints curl too, and need to be flattened and/or mounted for display. That's just the nature of the beast.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    In the past 45 years, I have yet to purchase a box of FB paper that was not moderately to severely curled. This is not new.
    My experience covers that time and more, this is not what I remembered! I can deal with it, but it's yet another 'concession'. Thx for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    There’s typically some curl, yes. I’ve never had a problem during processing as it flattens out as soon as it is thoroughly wet. Variables such as temperature or ambient humidity (once opened) can affect this.
    I was thinking; maybe the recent below zero cold while in transit might have 'helped'. thx!

Quote Originally Posted by ASA1000 View Post
    I was thinking; maybe the recent below zero cold while in transit might have 'helped'. thx!
    Humidity and temperature in storage makes a difference. Not always the answer, but can help.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

ASA, I, too, recall days of flatter fiber paper. A couple of years ago here, someone went off on a rant against Ilford on this account, prompting others to the latter's defense as a leading supplier that had stayed the course in B&W materials for us all through the Dark Age.

Whatever the reason for the increased curl in Ilford's paper (and I'm seeing $2/sheet for the WTFB I use), I am more happy that they have stayed the course. It may be that, like so many, they were obliged to switch paper manufacturers, that the manufacturer(s) were obliged to seek less expensive or more available product components or methods; perhaps the grain goes 90 degree to the way it used to -- all way outside my compass.

You've said previously (maybe in a video) that you have lots of printing to do. You might consider filling the extra space in the box with some matte board or something, and then putting the box under weight for a week or so. It might help; I don't know. Otherwise, a deep developer tray, as you undoubtedly know.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

The Ilford Classic FB VC paper I'm using has a severe curl so I "break" the bend by pulling the paper (emulsion side up) with a reverse bend down over the edge of my enlarging bench. Done a couple of times this gets the paper flat enough for my Saunders 20X24 enlarging easel to do the rest.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".