Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: New here and looking for lens advice

Re: New here and looking for lens advice

What kind of "portrait" _?_

Head/shoulder, full length, 3/4 length, 1/2 length, couple, group, environmental or _?_

Contrast rendition (high or low), "sharp" or Soft Focus _?_

All in the image perceived to be sharp (smaller exposure aperture), selective focus (large to full lens exposure aperture) or _?_

All above and more applies directly to focal length needed for a specific film format size..

What about into out of focus rendition, would this be of any significance to the image goals?

Once the lens that meets specific portrait goals, then a lens choice could be made.. and the view camera better be able to extract the best out of that lens and properly support the specific lens to properly accomplish the portrait goals.. Or why camera choice is driven by image goals, then lens needed to accomplish these goals. Making the focus on camera alone is not wise.

~None of the above can be properly answered until plenty of portrait images have been made-produced as it is essentially to develop a sense for how LF view camera portraits are made. Only with much experience, mistakes, success and more is gained could choices knowing what is needed can be made. Get a view camera outfit, make images.. it's the only way to learn how to view camera as the gear can never make images on their own.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Califmike33 View Post
    I've taken none using my 210 lens but isn't a 240 mm closer to a standard portrait lens of about 90 mm then a 210 is?. Obviously the tighter I can get in the longer focal length is going to help me to make a tighter more close up photo without having to stick the whole camera in their face. I'm actually thinking now I should have got a 240 to start with instead of the 210 the 210 does not seem tight enough.

Definitely Head and shoulders sometimes even tighter just face. And no I do not want to soft focus I want definition detail texture in the skin showing.

How much of the face to be in perceived focus? Know, LF lenses can be brutally "sharp" with definition and contrast no roll film image can match..

Again, better understanding and appreciation of this comes with making portrait with a view camera, Any view camera... and dare say most any LF lens.

Bernice

Definitely Head and shoulders sometimes even tighter just face. And no I do not want to soft focus I want definition detail texture in the skin showing.

Lighting has a HUGE effect on portraits, from skin texture to shadows and plenty more. IMO, lighting plays a FAR more important role in portraiture than lens alone. Low contrast lens can be upped contrast by harder light, highly textured skin can be softened by using soft/diffused light. Pose and portrait sitter expression are other important aspects of portraiture...

IMO, sitter expression is at the top of the list of what makes an effective portrait..

Kenny Rodger's Portraits and more previously on LFF:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...n-Kenny-Rogers

Bernice

I've taken none using my 210 lens but isn't a 240 mm closer to a standard portrait lens of about 90 mm then a 210 is?. Obviously the tighter I can get in the longer focal length is going to help me to make a tighter more close up photo without having to stick the whole camera in their face. I'm actually thinking now I should have got a 240 to start with instead of the 210 the 210 does not seem tight enough.
    Medium telephoto is good for portraits not only because of the framing, but because it compresses the image. If you use a normal or wide-angle lens, features on the front of the face like noses get bigger and distort the overall look.

Obviously I want some fall off on the side of the face and the background to be completely knocked out I feel like the 240 lens is probably the correct focal one for tight portraits. I agree 100% lighting is huge the way you like the subject absolutely.

IMO, sitter expression is at the top of the list of what makes an effective portrait. Yes, Bernice and Lighting are the key elements to a nice portrait.

I have a 210mm lens which was my go to lens for tight)ish) portraits, did a handful of portraits each year for about 10 years; then I picked up a 250mm lens.

Haven't used the 210mm lens since and as for portraiture head and shoulders type of stuff, the 250mm works wonderfully for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    I have a 210mm lens which was my go to lens for tight)ish) portraits, did a handful of portraits each year for about 10 years; then I picked up a 250mm lens.

Haven't used the 210mm lens since and as for portraiture head and shoulders type of stuff, the 250mm works wonderfully for me.
    Thank you for your reply I figured a 240mm lens would probably be perfect portrait lens for me and in general.

240mm 250mm it is.
    Last edited by Califmike33; 8-Dec-2022 at 01:15.