Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 5x7 opinions

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Intrepid 5x7 opinions

The 180mm lens is, by far, my most used lens on 5x7.

Quote Originally Posted by iml View Post
    Paul Barden is right that it's easy to move the rear standard when removing the film holder, the springs are tight and the locking screws not quite sufficient, but I don't see this being a big problem in use, just a quirk.
    It’s not a serious flaw, no. But you do have to exercise care in removing a film holder to avoid shifting the rear standard. If you’re the type that just grabs the film holder and pulls it up and back, you’re going to move the standard out of position. Better to get in the habit of lifting the spring back away with a finger and them lift the holder out.

Ian,I hope you enjoy using it! I’ve had mine for two years and it gets used a lot, and I find it a pleasure to work with.

Beyond the hassle of removing the rear element of the 360mm f6.8 to install <-> remove from the camera, there is significant risk to the lens cell each time it is removed <-> installed. Likely that 360mm f6.8 weights as much as this camera..

More sensible would be to ditch the modern plasmat lenses, then acquire smaller non modern Plasmat lenses to greatly improve the usability of this outfit.

As for 5x7 focal lengths, 180mm has not been a favored focal length, range of 150mm to 165mm has been favored over the decades as moderate wide.

The current 5x7 Sinar Norma in roller case lens set is:

115mm Grandagon (plus center filter), 165mm Angulon, 300mm APO Boyer, 19" APO ronar.. This changes based on image making needs.

240mm is a good moderate wide for 8x10, 360mm being a slightly longer than normal for 8x10. Keep in mind 5x7 has a different image ratio than 8x10 making focal length translations not quite direct.

Regardless, might discover the image quality difference between 8x10 -vs- 5x7 to be a lot less than believed and there are a lot more advantages to 5x7 in weight/size/bulk of the overall outfit and the choices of lenses is going to be the best overall of all the sheet film format.

Bernice

Thank you Peter!

I've had some time this morning to set it up, do some focusing, try out the movements and a couple of lenses. My main lenses are going to be the same as I use for 8x10 - a Schneider 240/5.6, and the absurdly big and heavy Schneider 360/6.8 (it has a 120mm filter thread, to give you an idea, and the rear element is too big to go through the front standard on the Intrepid, I have to unscrew it, mount the front element and board, take off the spring back and then screw in the rear element from inside the camera). But it focuses it, and takes the weight without a problem, so I'm happy about that. I need to get something around 180mm because I use moderate wides quite often, but there's no rush for that.

All the controls work fine. Paul Barden is right that it's easy to move the rear standard when removing the film holder, the springs are tight and the locking screws not quite sufficient, but I don't see this being a big problem in use, just a quirk.

Loaded up in the bag, the whole kit is much more portable than my 8x10, and I can see myself using this a lot on hikes in the coming months.

Will post images taken with the camera when I've made some.

Attachment 235418

One thing to remember: Exposures in LF photography, especially with filters and slower film, can easily be longer than 1 second. That means that you don't really need a shutter. There are a lot of great 300-500mm lenses that are relatively compact, high quality, and not too expensive. For example, a few of us picked up brand new 360mm Commercial Ektar clones for $100 a few years ago. They are really good lenses.

I'm with Bernice on this one. I wouldn't use that big 360mm on your Intrepid.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Those days of Commercial Ektar clones at bargain prices are mostly gone today due to the current fashion of LF view camera sheet image making. Seems folks have figured out Kodak Commercial EKtars and f4.5 Ektars are desirable followed by sticker shock... followed by a search on the web to discover the Commercial Ektar and f4.5 Ektar Tessar formula clones (some are excellent, some less so) which drives up their market value..

Seems the days of extreme value LF view camera lenses has passed... for now,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    For example, a few of us picked up brand new 360mm Commercial Ektar clones for $100 a few years ago. They are really good lenses.

I just looked on ebay, and there's a KEH bargain 360 Ronar for $216, an APO Nikkor for $160, a Boyer for $260....One thing to watch: if you want to use standard metric thread filters, make sure whatever you buy has them!

Lenses don't have to have state of the art optical quality to make great large format images.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Guys, I've been shooting large format for a very long time, I'm no beginner at this and understand what I'm doing. I appreciate you're trying to help but you're not talking to a beginner. I'm also not in the US, but the UK, where lens choices, prices, and availability are very different.
    Ian Land
    Photographer, Silverhill Press Editor

Website | Instagram | Silverhill Press

Gotchya, Ian. Sorry about that.

No problem Peter, I appreciate you're trying to help, ignore my grouchiness!
    Ian Land
    Photographer, Silverhill Press Editor

Website | Instagram | Silverhill Press

Schneider 360/6.8 .... the rear element is too big to go through the front standard on the Intrepid,
    What is the size of the rear, please?

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk