Suppose I have a center-filter designed for a certain focal length LF lens. Will I get similar results using that center-filter on a shorter lens and a smaller format if the angle of view for the two focal lengths on the two formats is roughly equal? This question goes the other was as well, moving to a longer FL on a larger format.

Here's a specific example to help clarify my question. A 90mm lens on 4x5 and a 50mm lens on 6x7 (rollfilm) have quite comparable fields of view. So would a center filter meant for the 90mm on 4x5 properly correct a 50mm on 6x7? I'm aware the lens must be well stopped-down.

What prompted this crazy idea? The 50mm Mamiya 7 lens has 67mm filter threads, as does the 90mm f/8 Super-Angulon. Mamiya never offered center filters but Schneider did, and it occurred to me the Schneider IIIa or IIIb (depending which version of Schneider's documentation one consults) could match the Mamiya's 50mm lens. There's also a similar angle-of-view relationship between the M7's 43mm and the 75mm f/5.6 Super-Angulon, both of which also have 67mm threads, so the Schneider CF-III might be a match there.

For an example going the other way, consider the 72mm SAXL (4x5) and 150mm Nikkor-SW (8x10). The have similar fields of view on their respective formats and both have 95mm filter threads. Maybe Schneider's IVb, meant for the 72, will correct on the Nikkor (assuming one could find both the center filter and the Nikkor).