Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Re: Need Sound Tripod Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Elcan View Post
    I haven't seen many people mentioning tripods by Foba.
    There is currently only one model ALFAE in its catalogue. The price showed on the BHPHOTO is insane, but in the EU is not that high, at the same level of a Linhof professional tripod.

May I ask if someone has experience with Foba tripods?
    I have two C40 FOBA tripods. This is the one in the original Sinar Norma Catalog. Great for 8x10 Norma or smaller., and authentic in the sense it's all Norma one unit. A pushbutton drops and lock the legs. So you can put it where you want it really quickly. Then later along came another C40, this last one has the rising center column. Very nice but all of these are HEAVY, they need to be. Finally, Ebay found a new in the box ALFAE used once $350. So pounced on that one..... Uber over the top lightweight design, very modern. This is the one I intend to use in the field. Again great for 8x10 on down. The FOBA Mini Tripod is very useful and not too expensive. All of these tripods can be infinitely extended and beyond, using FOBA Combitubes which come in three different lengths.

FOBA Brochure 7 by Nokton48, on Flickr

FOBA Brochure 8 by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I just picked up a screaming bargain—the Leofoto 404C carbon fiber tripod. Plus I think they’re giving an extra 20% off right now. A bit heavy but quite sturdy. And almost 6 ft tall.
    Last edited by Pieter; 9-Dec-2022 at 10:03.

Drew Wiley

Daniel - the Z VI tripod was junk, pure and simple. A relatively mediocre survey tripod with legs which swelled with moisture, and a cheapo poorly sealed plywood cap that delaminated.
    Overpriced, and nowhere near as good as converting a regular survey tripod a third the price. One of the dumbest purchases I ever made, though I changed the top and gave the whole thing to a coworker for his amateur telescope use. Should have just spent the extra bucks and bought a real Ries to begin with.

I'll stick with one of my wooden Otto tripods. Small, old but far more stable than a Ries twice the size, and much lighter. It has served me well for more than 60 years supporting my 5x12, 8x10 and 7x17. I hae gone through dozens of metal tripods as well as 2 sizes of Ries. It is superior to all of them, and weighs far less than most.

This old catalogue is of great value.
    It seems that the asmno tripod and the Linhof Heavy Duty tripod are really similar.

Hi Elcan,

Glad you are finding it to be of value. I enjoy perusing olde photo catalogs. These sales sheets came from Germany
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Had to check the calendar after reading some of the comments. Guys, it's 2022, not 1952.
    You don't have to lug around 20 pound tripods any more.
    I mean, more power to you if you still do it, but I gots nothin to prove to the younger generation. Except that I'm twice as smart as they are!!!
    JLR

Drew Wiley

I was out all afternoon with a Ries maple tripod. It's 7-1/2 lbs, not 22 lbs (my larger Ries for 8x10 use is around 12 lbs); I have parallel lighter CF tripods for long haul backpacking and airline use. I don't know what you mean by younger generation - I'm 73, and half as smart as I once wasn't. And not everyone is an outdoor photographer. I know studio people who use 200 lb stands and find them convenient. It's all relative to application.

Well I do have 3 of the huge Linhof studio tripods, Good Better Best

2 Arkay 10 ft Studio stands

many toothpicks
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
    Had to check the calendar after reading some of the comments. Guys, it's 2022, not 1952.
    You don't have to lug around 20 pound tripods any more.
    I mean, more power to you if you still do it, but I gots nothin to prove to the younger generation. Except that I'm twice as smart as they are!!!
    My 40-year-old Gitzo weighs about 9 lbs with three-way head. Really is not that much more than a carbon fiber tripod, all considered. Plus it's more stable.