Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 macro advice needed

Re: 4x5 macro advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Yes, ala "Inverse Square Law"..

Bernice
    That's interesting that bellows extension factor and image circle size are directly related. Thanks. Helps me imagine what's happening just a little bit better.

The effective aperture rides along with these changes, because, diffraction will be double also. Circles of confusion twice as big for the same f-number set on the lens, acting as if it is two stops smaller in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by many View Post
    Do I need special lens?
    Thanks.
    I don't know, but the G-Claron line is sort of specially designed for close-up work (Schneider Kreuznach)

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    I don't know, but the G-Claron line is sort of specially designed for close-up work (Schneider Kreuznach)
    I've gotten great results with using Repro-Clarons. Less expensive than G-Glarons. Little less coverage when compared to G-Clarons, but this has never been an issue with me for Photomacrography applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've gotten great results with using Repro-Clarons. Less expensive than G-Glarons. Little less coverage when compared to G-Clarons, but this has never been an issue with me for Photomacrography applications.
    Me too, and the name ReproClaron suggests special quality in the range shorter than a meter too, I just don’t know if this has been officially stated by Schneider. My experience/way of working is that I want/need more movements if I come closer. But with these prices, one can always start with a ReproClaron

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Repro-Claron? Just another dialyte type process lens. Artar, Apo-Ronar, dialyte type (there are also tessar type) Apo-Nikkor, ... Buy on price and condition.

Me too, and the name ReproClaron suggests special quality in the range shorter than a meter too
    It is a matter of magnification, not distance.

Quote Originally Posted by many View Post
    Canham DLC knobs are not very strong, and I worry that placing the film-back will slightly move the back. What is not a very big issue when photographing distant subjects, at close-up will get me an obvious out of focus.
    If is not a very big issue in landscapes then it is even less an issue in close-ups. In distant views, we have a lot of depth of field and a very narrow depth of focus; but as we get closer to the subject, the depth of field decreases rapidly, and the depth of focus proportionally increases.

Repro-Claron, Schneider's answer to APO artar, APO nikkor, APO ronar.. might contain thoriated optical glass which is slightly radioctive and tends to develop a yellowish cast with the passage of time. The yellowish cast tends to alter color balance slightly. The yellowish cast is reported curable by exposure to UV light.

IMO, stay with the non thoriated optical glass dialyte APO process lens formula/design.. APO nikkor, APO ronar, APO artar... Optical performance wise, this family of lenses are far more similar than differnt.

Schneider discontinued the Repro-Claron after Schneider aquired Goerz America and continued to produce the APO artar under the Schneider brand.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

Repro-Claron? Just another dialyte type process lens. Artar, Apo-Ronar, dialyte type (there are also tessar type) Apo-Nikkor, ... Buy on price and condition.

I might have missed it in the quick read I gave through the length of the thread but a few things that might help.
    1. If available look up the published object to lens distance as well as the bellows needed for different magnifications. I know Schneider sheets tend to list these as well as Rodenstock
    2. A macro slider is helpful. It allows you to maintain bellows extension and alter object to lens distance, often at extraordinarily fine gradients.
    3. Most macro work performs better at wider apertures, but there are some lenses which are optimized for ~f22. There are threads in the lens section which discuss the reasons wider apertures are often necessary.
    4. Due to the bellows extension factor, film reciprocity is often a serious issue.

YMMV but I have had good luck shooting macro with both 4x5 and 8x10.

I have a Made in England 5X7 KODAK Detective Camera

OE Black of course

It has makings for Magnifications/Macro

I wish I knew what lens it once had

Very tight GG double leaf springs

perhaps so no mistake with important work

SO tight I removed one leaf set
    Tin Can