I have had several 8x10 cameras but stupidly sold them all in a weak attempt to downsize. Basically - started with a Kodak 2D, too limited with respect to movements, then a Calumet C-1, too heavy and it hurt whenever I dropped it on my toes, and finally a Deardorff V8, just right. I should have kept the V8 but now I realize the prices have gone up significantly and it is painful to contemplate repurchasing at the higher prices.

Also, I found myself using X-ray film mostly due to the high film costs of course, and did scanning and contact prints ( some Cyanotype as well). I found it harder to get good results with the double sided X-ray film, but again - so cheap. Could those with experience with the classic 8x10s as well as the Intrepid or Cheap Gibellini, etc., weigh in on the suitability of the new players compared to the tried and true brands?

Or will I be judged a buffoon for getting anything when my main intent is to shoot the cheapest film I can find? ( Note, I have shot a good bit of 4x5 over the years so I am neither a stranger or an expert with LF- but I do want fairly good movement capability)

Thx

PS, if anyone had a line on a good user Deardorff or comparable classic wooden field camera please message me! 😉