Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Bulb for Nuarc Safelight?

Re: Red Bulb for Nuarc Safelight?

I didn't all that much for the stuff I got. I suppose a few Euros per sheet, certainly not more, or I would have limited my intake.

Can't tell about the performance of old rubylith; I still have some of the first rubylith I bought but that's only something like 6-7 years ago and I haven't tried it lately. Last time I used it, it peeled fine. Storage conditions probably matter a lot.

Btw, I use some for darkroom light filtering, but most of it actually goes into making masks for contact printing alt. process materials such as carbon transfer. So I get to do the peeling as well; so far without any problems provided the tip of the blade on my X-acto isn't blunt.

I use one of those safelights in my dark room. It has 2, 7 watt white bulbs in it and they have lasted for many years. No fogging on paper. It is on a wall away from the sink... I also have some of the old 1 watt LEDs that Tin Can posted. Again they work great as well. The one watt amber ones are not safe. I am a retired expat from the printing/graphics world as well.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    Well I'm going crazy searching the internet for a decent red LED that can be put inside this Nuarc. The reason I'm so insistent in wanting to use it is because it will be a last firewall against any spurious colors from a bulb.
    if you want to eliminate unwanted frequencies of light as much as humanly possible, get a laser diode rather than an led.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Typically+emitted+wavelength+spectra+for+a+laser+and+a+LED.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	230633

Did include chart plot, before...

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Except for the data you'd actually need for this application. Such as an emission spectrum plot.
    Tin Can

As for how Fuji X-Ray film handles red LEDs - I tried red LEDs from Lowes, Home Depot, and superbrightled. All were reputed to work, but I found that all fogged with 10-minute exposures with the light about three feet away. I put the Lowes LED in a Kodak bullet safelight with the recommended GBX-2 and have no fogging. I assume this filter would be OK for paper, but haven’t experimented yet.