Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 24cm X 76 meters of Agfa Aviphot 200 has arrived

Re: 24cm X 76 meters of Agfa Aviphot 200 has arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Thanks Randy. That's good of you to say that

OK Guys, anybody here try MeCD4 or Diafine with Aviphot 200?
    I have used MeCD4. it gives a lower contrast neg that has more shadow detail than other developers. my last neg I used pyro-M in a reduced agitation scheme, per steve sherman's guide, and it gave a great neg but a little less shadow detail, but great highlights. this film has highlight issues, so Im gonna try and nail down the pyro reduced ag scheme.

by the way, is it just me, or does this film seem like a dust magnet and it does scratch easy, like when I remove it or load it into the holders. let me know if you have any more questions

john

Hi everyone , I’ve been following this thread since I saw it as I want to try this film for 7x17, but am worried the curl and thinness will affect focal plane placement. Have any of you tried it w the larger sizes? Any issues? I’m waiting on the ir goggles Daniel has, so hopefully cutting in the dark won’t be too hard. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G Benaim View Post
    Hi everyone , I’ve been following this thread since I saw it as I want to try this film for 7x17, but am worried the curl and thinness will affect focal plane placement. Have any of you tried it w the larger sizes? Any issues? I’m waiting on the ir goggles Daniel has, so hopefully cutting in the dark won’t be too hard. Thanks
    I haven't used it in holders larger than 8x10, but I don't think curl and thinness have caused any focus problems (judging from landscapes at infinity as well as close-up table-top shots). For 8x10 and 5x7 the direction of the curl (with the emulsion on the concave side) might serve to press the film flat against the septum of the holder.
    my flickr page: Jeff Wingard

And have you had any extra problems w creasing or scratching? Thanks

Also, does anyone have scans of prints, rather than negs? Thanks

And have you had any extra problems w creasing or scratching? Thanks
    I haven't had any issues with scratching, even fumbling around in total darkness with my makeshift cutting template and a plexiglass scoring knife.

I've had only one incident with creasing, which you can see in post #47. When replacing to dark-slide after a shot the film snagged and creased. This was easily preventable. The roll is 9 7/16" wide, 250' long. For 8x10, I've been simply making one cut off the roll, resulting in a piece that is about 8 x 9 7/16" (about a half inch too short for my holders). So one of the 4 sides was not held down properly in the holder. A few pieces of tape could mitigate this (or using proper 18x24cm holders).

Also, does anyone have scans of prints, rather than negs? Thanks
    Here is a scan of a contact print

contact print scan test Aviphot200 IR72 Astoria Park by Jeff Wingard, on Flickr

Great, thanks. And have you found it to be sensitive to ir goggles or can they be used safely without fogging?

Great, thanks. And have you found it to be sensitive to ir goggles or can they be used safely without fogging?
    I have not had an opportunity to try loading film with the infared goggles. I bought a new in box unit, it does work in total darkness, although it would take a lot of getting used to! Can't speak to them fogging Aviphot Aero, but I have several other types of panchromatic Aero film, I'm sure they would work with Plus-X Aero 2402, for example. So worth having just for those!

If you scan the thread above, I think Popdoc was using the goggles to cut Agfa Aviphot?? He posted pictures above ^^^. Sorry can't comment, haven't had time for photography recently. But hoping to give it a try soon, that's all I can say

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

The goggles take some getting used to…

When I first started, they fogged a roll of 120 (TMY?..can’t remember). From that “lesson”,
    I taped over the two light sources on the goggles with gaffer’s tape. Went online and found a small tactical far IR flashlight. My darkroom is a converted one car garage. I place the flashlight in a far corner, somewhat obstructed to limit the light to keep the light as dim as possible to safely carry out my work cutting the Aviphot.

So far, so good! No change from base fog after being cut down to 8x10. Exposure to the far away far IR Light source is less than 20 seconds.

Better safe than sorry!

All that said- great addition to the darkroom and workflow.

Next is development by inspection!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk