Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 Grafmatic film backs

Re: 4x5 Grafmatic film backs

Grafmatics can jam due to film slippage in a septum... Especially in vertical orientation, the film can partially dislodge during cycling and not return preventing proper shuffling... The film hold downs can be weak over time and bases can be thinner than yesteryear...

A dot of tape on the open end of the septum will prevent the film from slipping out...

Steve K

In the late '80s and '90s I did some aerial photography with 4X5 sheet film and 6X9 120 and 220 roll film. I flew in a J3 Cub, a 172 Cessna and a Piper Warrior. I tried Grafmatics and has been mentioned it was hard to find good magazines and septums even then. When in the air over the subject or scene to be photographed, there is frequently only a chance for one or two exposures on each pass of the aircraft. I soon learned that I could make the first exposure, then insert the slide in a standard holder, flip it over and pull the slide out for the second exposure just as fast and without possible malfunctions of a Grafmatic.

In 6X9, Ilford XP2 delivered results that rivaled or exceeded 4X5 Tri-X, but now many of my favorite XP2 negatives have deteriorated and are unprintable. Not all, but of those that went out to labs for processing, many have fared badly.

Re: 4x5 Graflock film backs

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    On all my Grafmatics, I use the white memo area for notes.
    I found a series of Grafmatics were the white memo area was marked "Penthouse". No undeveloped film was in them, and maybe it was just an architectural photographer.. but it's interesting to think what shots these Grafmatics have seen.

I am a firm believer in the Grafmatic holders, once I discovered the Grafmatic holders I cut my hauling gear down to 10 grafmatics holders from 30 4x5 sheet film holders. That's shooting b&w and color transparencies and if the client wanted color negative film add another 15 holders or another 5 grafmatics.

when pulling the slide out one should hold the camera back/ ground glass frame with one hand while the other hand is pulling and pushing the grafmatic film swap.

whatever you do don't drop the film plates the little extensions on the plates bend very easily making film loading difficult and can cause jamming when swapping film.

Quote Originally Posted by archphotofisher View Post
    I am a firm believer in the Grafmatic holders, once I discovered the Grafmatic holders I cut my hauling gear down to 10 grafmatics holders from 30 4x5 sheet film holders. That's shooting b&w and color transparencies and if the client wanted color negative film add another 15 holders or another 5 grafmatics.

when pulling the slide out one should hold the camera back/ ground glass frame with one hand while the other hand is pulling and pushing the grafmatic film swap.

whatever you do don't drop the film plates the little extensions on the plates bend very easily making film loading difficult and can cause jamming when swapping film.
    Thank you to everyone for the info. Is it advisable to lubricate the septums?

All my Grafmatics have been freed up and rescued with the following procedure.

Good septums are absolutely essential. First I check, bend, tweak, every septum so it has straight edges just like new. Grafmatic jams can distort, or crimp septums depending on how heavy handed and desperate the previous owner was. Often a Grafmatic is sold because it jams. Repeat: bent septums are usually both the cause and the result of a jam. Apart from the rolled edges of a Grafmatic septum the closed end has a couple of tiny leaf springs (fingers?) that capture the edge of the film and hold it securely against slipping out. These thin metal fingers can be bent down (carefully) so as to leave almost zero clearance. This way any film of any thickness can be held securely. When loading a septum in the darkroom I always give it a light tap downwards to make sure the film doesn't want to slide out.

Once the septums are perfect I spray the Grafmatic with stuff like RP-7 or WD-40 until it is oily. Working the Grafmatic through several cycles distributes the oil where it wants to go. The action should be butter smooth by now.

Then I clean (clean!) the oil from every external surface, every septum, and every surface I or the film could touch. The inner mechanism is left with a thin oily film. This has the effect of maintaining lubrication while providing a sticky surface to trap any dust particles raised by the film change mechanism crashing back and forth.

I have built my working Grafmatic collection from other peoples unreliable gear. Provided nothing is missing or broken Grafmatics can be resuscitated.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

I learned about Grafmatics (and Tri-X filmpack) when studying with Norman McGrath in 1989. He spoke highly of them, so I had to try them. The magazines were old, my technique imperfect, and it was a failure; I sold them. About 10-15 years later, I gave them another shot; essentially the same results and a few lost photos. So they are not for me... one thing I did decide was that they would work well with a hand-held Speed Graphic, not as well with a lightweight field camera, where the effort required to change film always moved the camera or tripod. I am pleased to see people using them successfully.
    (And I do wish Kodak still made TXP film pack, that's gone though, never to return.)

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    Thank you to everyone for the info. Is it advisable to lubricate the septums?
    I would never place any oil on the septums; oil on your film wouldn't go over very well. I would place very little between the outside edges of the film compartment and then on the holder's inside walls.

I like them - BUT as was said above, if you decide not to take the photo, you have to make a complete cycle to the next film for the next shot - basically forget about the sheet you "didn't use". Unless you're a lot better at record keeping than I am.