Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 Grafmatic film backs

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: 4x5 Graflock film backs

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    I should make my question a little more specific,I was asking about the 4x5 sheet film backs that hold 6 sheets of film.
    I find them to be way more work than they are worth. On a press camera with a rangefinder they aren't too bad but on a view camera, especially a light one, regular film holders seem much better suited.

That would be a 4x5 grafmatic film holder.. holds six sheets per holder.

Yes, they work good long as they are clean, film septum plates are not bent and the mechanism properly lubricated with dry lube like wax.
    The film septum plates are subject to being bent.. which cause all sorts of grief. If the mechanism get dirty or stuck with dirt and such, there will also be problems.. Know many of these on the used market have already had a VERY hard life as they were the staple of 4x5 press camera photographers. Back in the 1990's when many of these were available on the used market, plenty of them were already plenty beat and tired. Suspect the difficult today is to obtain examples that are not totally wore out and beat..

Back in the 4x5 years, used two 4x5 grafmatic film holders for 12 sheets of film with a Linhof Technika (had more than one) and at times with the Sinar. This pair was new in box purchased circa early 90's.. they never had any problems and were nice in many ways.. In time purchased a pile of good not bent film septum plates. These were difficult to find back then.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
    I should make my question a little more specific,I was asking about the 4x5 sheet film backs that hold 6 sheets of film.

Grafmatics do jam and will really piss you off

I did buy a new Japanese copy, very good, bought from Japan and a good seller

not cheap and becoming rare
    Tin Can

I now own 8 Grafmatics as well as a Kinematic.

Grafmatics are fantastic for packing smaller and lighter. Admittedly, they are heavy metal bricks so the weight savings compared to 3 lightweight holders is minimal, but its there and also the smaller footprint is really nice for packing more in less space (hiking).

I've used them almost exclusively for years now. They aren't perfect - I will occasionally have a sheet with really bad dust issues (lots of black unexposed dots from dust on the film during exposure). Using a rocket blower on every septum before closing them up is recommended, but racking the holder in and out inevitably shakes things loose or whatever and so you will have dust. Take two shots if you are worried about it on a really important image. I generally only have occasional issues on 1 sheet in a set of 6. The only other issue is the occasional jam. Generally, I can get it to clear by taking the camera off the tripod and leaning it back or forward until the jam clears. It's usually just the septum needing to not have gravity pulling it into the travel of the mechanism or something like that. I think only once have a had to leave the back "out" and stop shooting for the day to save the images. I do keep a film loading bag in my car just in case, for any issues I might have with film cameras.

Definitely be careful racking the holder to the next sheet if you aren't using a camera with strong springs. I've had issues with pulling the back slightly with my Chamonix so I always hold the back closed with the other hand while racking. On a Speed Graphic or Technika I don't need that and can easily shoot and rack in one motion and blow through several sheets quickly if needed.

I suppose the big issue with Grafmatics these days is folks ask way too much for them.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have six 4x5" Graflex Graphmatic backs. Mainly I use them on my 9x9cm Plaubel Makiflexes. Sometimes with my Norma Sinar Handy. Very quick in that regard. Sometimes in the studio depending what is loaded. Fuji HRU only horizontal, the film is quite thin and "floats around". No issues with horizontal XRAY film, smooth going. Vertical HRU shots jam repeatedly in 4x5 Graphmatic
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Grafmatics do jam and will really piss you off

I did buy a new Japanese copy, very good, bought from Japan and a good seller

not cheap and becoming rare
    Yes, not being able to push the magazine back in after taking a shot and attempting to cycle.. that's a terrible moment of dread. In the field you are pretty much toast when that happens unless you happened to bring along a dark tent.

I almost prefer plates in Mag Bags
    Tin Can

This topic doesn't really belong in the ULF thread.

I really like the Grafmatics, but there is one practical problem when using them. Once you pull the dark slide to make an exposure, the septum moves forward and is no longer protected from light, even when you push the slide back in. To protect the film from light, you have to advance the unit. This isn't a problem unless you decide not to take the shot after you've pulled the slide. At that point, your options are to advance the holder (and record the number that wasn't exposed), and then get that septum out in a darkroom for use another time. It can get very complicated unless you take very good records.

There are lots of reasons why you may not take the shot after the dark slide has been pulled, such as changing light conditions, wind picked up, or your subject moved or changed. In cases like this, a conventional film holder is the better option, since you can just push the dark slide in and remove the film holder for use another time. You can't do that with a Grafmatic.

On all my Grafmatics, I use the white memo area for notes. I write 1 through 6, and notate if I need to their N development. A couple times, I've had that exact circumstance, and skipped the sheet. If needed, I can come back around to it once the holder is cycled through by carefully cycling the sheets back around while the holder is inserted. Make sure the lens preview isn't opened!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome