Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help to ID this lens.

Re: Help to ID this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

The Fujinon NSW (they never made a NSWD) 90mm has a 67mm filter thread, but the 105mm is 77mm, for example.
    They absolutely did, when they switched to the new style outside writing lenses the optical design was changed from 8-4 to 8-6 and released sales materials calling them "NSWD" also some of the later 90mm rear lens cells are a smaller diameter to fit cameras better. See attached optical layout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fujinon NSWD.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	229952
    Jim

When Fujinon changed the SWD series from 8/4 to 8/6 designs they kept the SWD designation. Even in the 1997 CM-W, black shutter-era literature, the three lenses are labeled SWD.

Name:	Fuji_3_97_SWD.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	229957

The SW lens designation was changed to NSW (not NSWD) for three new f8 lenses with new 6/6 designs and EBC coating -- 90mm, 105mm & 125mm.

There's also a NW series -- just to confuse matters.

If you have literature showing a NSWD series, I'd love to see it.

The lens elements under discussion might be from the SWD or the NSW series.

OP's follow up: per the measurement specs in my 1982 Fuji catalogue:
    The larger rear cell's dimensions match the rear cell of a 90mm f/8 EBC FUJINON NSWS.
    Smaller rear cell's dimensions do not match any lens cell listed in my 1982 Fuji catalogue. Rear diameter is 45mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    OP's follow up: per the measurement specs in my 1982 Fuji catalogue:
    The larger rear cell's dimensions match the rear cell of a 90mm f/8 EBC FUJINON NSWS.
    Smaller rear cell's dimensions do not match any lens cell listed in my 1982 Fuji catalogue. Rear diameter is 45mm.

Take another look at the '82 literature. It shows the rear cell of the 150mm f5.6 as 45mm. It's an NW, not an NSW. It and the 240mm AS are the only lenses with a rear cell that diameter.

Both the 90mm f8 NSW and the 150mm f5.6 NW use a #0 shutter -- which have 29.5mm threads on the front and rear. FYI, both of those lenses barely cover 5x7 -- not 8x10.

SOOOOO -- if you can find the front group for either of these lenses, or even just one of them, you're in luck. I have both of them and they are great lenses.

Search EBAY for AS IS, dead, ugly, damaged, broken, etc. FUJINON 90mm & 150mm lenses, and you might get lucky.
    Last edited by xkaes; 13-Aug-2022 at 08:09.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    When Fujinon changed the SWD series from 8/4 to 8/6 designs they kept the SWD designation. Even in the 1997 CM-W, black shutter-era literature, the three lenses are labeled SWD.

Name:	Fuji_3_97_SWD.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	229957

The SW lens designation was changed to NSW (not NSWD) for three new f8 lenses with new 6/6 designs and EBC coating -- 90mm, 105mm & 125mm.

There's also a NW series -- just to confuse matters.

If you have literature showing a NSWD series, I'd love to see it.

The lens elements under discussion might be from the SWD or the NSW series.
    I've had a look through my collection of manuals and sales materials and found that in a typically Fujinon fashion the main consistency is inconsistent naming. I do have two price lists from 1982 that list NSWD lenses and also a price list from 1983 that has an image on the cover credited to an 65mm NSWD, while the price list itself lists the newer 8-6 lenses as SWDS. However none of the publicly available catalogs that I have show anything other than SWD for the old line and a mixture of SWDS and later back to just SWD for the newer style of lenses.

I'd guess this was a very short lived renaming of the line, odd that they chose not to stick with NSWD while the other updated lines were named N__.

Name:	Price list Feb 1 1982.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	230048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Price list May 1 1983.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	230049
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by aphcl84 View Post
    I've had a look through my collection of manuals and sales materials and found that in a typically Fujinon fashion the main consistency is inconsistent naming. I do have two price lists from 1982 that list NSWD lenses and also a price list from 1983 that has an image on the cover credited to an 65mm NSWD, while the price list itself lists the newer 8-6 lenses as SWDS. However none of the publicly available catalogs that I have show anything other than SWD for the old line and a mixture of SWDS and later back to just SWD for the newer style of lenses.

I'd guess this was a very short lived renaming of the line, odd that they chose not to stick with NSWD while the other updated lines were named N__.

Name:	Price list Feb 1 1982.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	230048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Price list May 1 1983.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	230049

One difference between the Fujinon lens "price lists" and "catalogs" is that the catalogs were produced by Fuji, while the common US price lists were produced by D.O. Industries. The price lists sometimes listed other D.O. lenses and products, such as the T-Navitar 150mm f5.6 lens.

FUJI seemed to add the "N" designation to their lenses when EBC coating was added. For example, the W lenses became NW when EBC was added -- although not all W lenses had EBC coating added, and those that didn't get it remained simply W lenses. Similarly, some -- but not all -- SW lenses received EBC coating, and became NSW. Some lenses also saw changes to their optical formulas, filter size changes, etc. at the same time, but the important difference to FUJI seemed to be the addition of the EBC coating. What I find unfortunate is that FUJI never added the N to the lens inscriptions when they added the EBC coating to the N lenses. This leads to a lot of confusion -- and might be the reason why the CM-W lenses are all clearly marked CM-W.

Since the SWD lenses had always been EBC coating from the outset, there was no need to add the N designation to them.