Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linhof Patentkopf III Da Luxe Professional Pan Head III 003695 - Needs a stem handle

Re: Linhof Patentkopf III Da Luxe Professional Pan Head III 003695 - Needs a stem han

Hiding behind the big Linhofs far bigger and older 1920's Deardorff SC11, 11X14 to 5X7 backs, 75" bellows draw

500 made for Sears and Montgomery Wards Catalogs in Chicago, carry 47" Artar as option, I have only a tiny 900mm

Restoration of it was more expensive than all my the unrestored Giant Linhofs

Deardorff S11 New Bellows by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Deardorff S11 Just set up by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

web New 8X10 Deardorff by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr
    Tin Can

Re: Linhof Patentkopf III Da Luxe Professional Pan Head III 003695 - Needs a stem han

That's just ridiculous! Is it steam powered...?

sculptorBradP

Your 1920s Deardoff super large format camera posted here - impressive! Have you ever attempted to get a Linhof Gigant stand from the 1950s? There seem to be a number of variations on the Linhof Gigant - manual, electric, variations on the model size and style... I noticed one posted on Linhof oriented online group that was from the early 1940s / later 1930s that the mechanism for raising and lowering was based on a gigantic bicycle-like chain... Fantastic that you restored the Deardorff! Tin Can, Did you attach new caster wheels to your Linhof Heavy Duty Geared Dolly Tripod Grober Stativwagen DeLuxe? If you did find new wheel replacements - do you remember the specifics of the wheel specs and where you found new ones? Mine seem fine now, but I am hesitant to play around flex testing them - though not hesitant to utilize the stand - they could appear more mint. Two of the Linhof bakelite knobs for locking the wheels are broken off of mine - knobs missing as well. I purchased one extra Linhof knob - new old stock - in the same color and style as the remaining wheel locking knob. I will need to drill out with a small extraction bit the two broken threaded locking stems and glue a narrow metal piece to unscrew the remaining. Your Linhof Geared Dolly Tripod Grober Stativwagen appears to have a different - later? - locking mechanism. There is also on my Geared Dolly Tripod Grober Stativwagen a threaded narrow stem with a metal pin through it below the crank mechanism - on the vertical portion. I assume this was a connection for a locking knob? Does yours have a similar knob at that position? The lowering and raising as well as remaining in position seem fine as is.
    Last edited by sculptorBradP; 1-Aug-2022 at 12:58.

sculptorBradP

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Have you asked LInhof if they have the handle?
    Hello Bob, Thanks again for your suggestions. The Linhof technical rep in Munich answered back that they have no record in their documents of the tripod head. This correlates with what I was told at LaFlex Camera - that many of the Linhof historic camera accessories were not kept in a history in-house cataloging system that would give a full idea of the historic part. I think if Linhof had the option to include an image of the head there might have been more chance for some success...
    Last edited by sculptorBradP; 1-Aug-2022 at 17:16.

It was high tech for 1928,

Montgomery Wards had 100 setup in their large catalog division in Chicago

NYC had bigger, of course

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deardorff

https://web.archive.org/web/20080118....com/links.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
    That's just ridiculous! Is it steam powered...?
    Tin Can

I looked hard for Gigant, maybe one in Germany

I think they all broke as they used hydraulics

I have 3 big Linhof Tripods

I was a sculptor of monsters

I made Dragons in various sizes, even one built t0 ride on a motorcycle

I still have 3 of 7 baby Dragons, the rest perished

Nogard on car 1986 by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Nogard takes me to Zoo by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Slay Nogard by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Baby Dragons Seven by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Baby by TIN CAN COLLEGE, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by sculptorBradP View Post
    Your 1920s Deardoff super large format camera posted here - impressive! Have you ever attempted to get a Linhof Gigant stand from the 1950s? There seem to be a number of variations on the Linhof Gigant - manual, electric, variations on the model size and style... I noticed one posted on Linhof oriented online group that was from the early 1940s / later 1930s that the mechanism for raising and lowering was based on a gigantic bicycle-like chain... Fantastic that you restored the Deardorff! Tin Can, Did you attach new caster wheels to your Linhof Heavy Duty Geared Dolly Tripod Grober Stativwagen DeLuxe? If you did find new wheel replacements - do you remember the specifics of the wheel specs and where you found new ones? Mine seem fine now, but I am hesitant to play around flex testing them - though not hesitant to utilize the stand - they could appear more mint. Two of the Linhof bakelite knobs for locking the wheels are broken off of mine - knobs missing as well. I purchased one extra Linhof knob - new old stock - in the same color and style as the remaining wheel locking knob. I will need to drill out with a small extraction bit the two broken threaded locking stems and glue a narrow metal piece to unscrew the remaining. Your Linhof Geared Dolly Tripod Grober Stativwagen appears to have a different - later? - locking mechanism. There is also on my Geared Dolly Tripod Grober Stativwagen a threaded narrow stem with a metal pin through it below the crank mechanism - on the vertical portion. I assume this was a connection for a locking knob? Does yours have a similar knob at that position? The lowering and raising as well as remaining in position seem fine as is.
    Tin Can

sculptorBradP

Che Guevara from the upper-story building looks surprised to see your dragon procession.... Looks like a fun day, days. Yours and "The Game of Thrones" dragons met their demise early... I have two life model custom-made heavy metal stands that weigh about 480 lb. each - they turn on the top plate in a circle with pivot stops, roll on four lockable swivel caster wheels for the newer one, and are both spring-assisted to raise from fourteen inches to just about four and a half feet high in four height positions - though they take two people to lift or lower each height. Also a 400 lb sculpture stand that raises by a metal chain drive connected to four steel heavy threaded rods that have a continuous adjustment from three feet to five feet with lockable swivel caster wheels. Also, a heavy custom metal sculpture relief stand that has a chain drive to raise and lower the arm that is above a rectangular metal base on lockable swivel wheels - the chain geared arm holds the metal table that can be changed in the degree of tilt - the table has an eight-inch lip that holds large relief sculptures. The two other hydraulic sculpture stands are completely undependable. Most of my finance goes into my sculpture supplies, and sculpture costs, and nude life models that pose for my sculptures in my studio. Photography is an adjunct - though a completely important one to convey sculptures to potential clients. I would imagine that the Linhof Gigant - bicycle chain drive lift on steroids stands from the 1930s/1940s period is probably still fine if it wasn't bombed.
    Last edited by sculptorBradP; 1-Aug-2022 at 20:34.