Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar "Norma" or Sinar "Standard"?

Re: Sinar "Norma" or Sinar "Standard"?

The Norma is also one of the best looking cameras ever made. I have a wallpaper of the 5x7 with the tapered bellows, and people who don't even know it is a camera like it.

The Linhof Bi-Kardan is also a beautifully crafted camera of roughly the same era.

One caveat, the Norma has only base tilts while the Linhof Bi (as it's name implies) has both base and center tilts.

I had a 5x7 Norma at one time and have occasional regrets for selling it.

Steve

As long as this thread has been resurrected, I'll jump in too. A 4x5 Norma is my main camera. I shoot primarily in urban settings and use a Sherpa Cart to transport it and all its associated gear including lenses from 65mm to 450mm. It makes me smile every time I use it. It is beautiful to look at, extremely smooth, very precise, versatile, and sturdy. A great camera.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Sinar Norma is the camera itself. Sinar Standard is the basic setup, Sinar Expert is the camera, souped up. That's about it.

-Dan, have been interested in Sinar Normas for twenty-five years.

Does the presence or absence of locking focusing knobs has anything to do with that?

My understanding is that earlier versions had locking focus knobs; later versions did not.

Drew Wiley

I feel like an idiot for passing up a couple of clean 5X7 Normas. If I was younger this would
    be a dream system for me. But I do most of my work with an 8x10 folder, followed by a
    beautiful 4x5 Norma, which fits into my backpack a lot easier than any 5x7 monorail would.
    The Normas underwent subtle modifications over time. I'm no expert in the system, but it
    seems to interchange with all the later F and P style components. The tapered bellows are
    wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by coisasdavida View Post
    Does the presence or absence of locking focusing knobs has anything to do with that?
    Early Normas (I just finished restoring a complete one) did not have the focus-locking cam on the focus locking knobs. This is a refinement that came along in the later model Norma. I also have several examples of the later ones.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Thanks!

Wonderful cameras ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6324.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	108837

Another thread that does not quite explain the differences in Sinar Norma iterations, but very interesting discussion back to 2006.

One of my questions is, How are Norma format changes from 4X5 to 5X7 to 8X10 effected?

Is the frame changed on the standard/bearer or do you change the whole rear format set? Bellows do vary of course.

I do know there is a 5X7 to 4X5 format change back GG that fits only a 5X7 frame.

I ask as the P 8X10 had a heavy duty rear standard/bearer for 8X10 and was highly recommended as it was designed for heavier loads of 8X10. And had 3 sets of markings for 3 formats.
    Tin Can

4x5 and 5x7 use the same standard bearer. Unscrew the black knob and it easily and safely comes apart. Then you can interchange 4x5 and 5x7 parts. 8x10 Back is dedicated to 8x10. If you want 4x5 you can buy just the 4x5 back and interchange it with the 5x7 back, on the standard bearer.

Peruse the catalog. Understand how massive the number of accessories you can get for this thing. I have about 80 percent of it in my studio. Awesome modular system. Nobody even close to being close.

And Yes it is on permanent display at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC, as an Industrial Design Object. A thing of beauty built for a machinist!
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain