Thread: How do you filter lenses with large diameters

How do you filter lenses with large diameters

I would like others input on how they use filters for extremely large lense. I am particularly interested in 105mm and 122mm. It would be easy if the other side could use a smaller filter but in this case Schneider Fine Art lenses this option is not available. Thanks for your help

Cokin X-Pro are a fairly cheap solution. Lee filters also make filters in this size, but only as a special order. 122mm is a size issue - I think Cokin X-Pro adaptor rings only go up to 118mm (although I think you could probably have someone machine a custom holder attachment for you). If you going to spring for a 550XXL though, just buy a couple of new B&Ws to go with it (you are almost certainly shooting B&W so won't need a huge number) - they're less than $200 a pop...

Heliopan makes color, B&W, polarizers and ND filters in sizes up to 127mm including 122mm x 1 filters. They also make short and long metal lens hoods in 122 x 1 size.

I have a couple of 105mm glass filters, but mostly use gel, resin, or polyester filters on large lenses. I us a HiTech holder system that uses adapter rings to fit specific lens sizes. I don't think the HiTech holder would adapt to your 122mm lens, however. I've also simply hand-held the larger non-glass filters in front of the lens.

Geos

I had some 135mm extra-wide gelatin filter holders made by skgrimes. I then cut down 6" Kodak filters and mounted in these rings. Later I had a step down ring made so these filters could be used on other large lenses.

Perhaps this is a very simple minded question, but why not use a compendium with a built in filter holder for something likewratten filters? One size fits all and no step rings necessary.

I also use a compendium and slide in gels. Much cheaper than buying an assortment of step rings and large round filters, and the results are just as good.

Nikon makes several 122mm round filters for black-and-white film that are relatively inexpensive ($89.95 each at B&H).

With regards to rectangular filter systems, I think the Cokin X-Pro system (130 x 170mm filter size) would be the best bet, especially if you have someone like SK Grimes fabricate a press-on filter holder which fits over the barrel of the lens. The holder would directly fit over the 550XXL lens barrel, and would use a doughnut adapter ring to fit onto the smaller 1100XXL. Use of a press-on holder (versus a holder attached via a screw-in adapter ring) will also minimize any possible vignetting with the 550XXL when movements are applied.

In lieu of a filter holder, you can also tape the X-Pro filters to the lens barrel. Certainly not an elegant solution, but it works!