Thread: "When did pre-war Zeiss start applying coatings?" and other questions about Tessars

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"When did pre-war Zeiss start applying coatings?" and other questions about Tessars

I'm looking to get a 24cm Zeiss Jena Tessar for my 4x5 camera, in order to secure a more portrait-appropriate focal length relative to my current 135mm mainstay. I'm pretty broke, so I have to be careful in the choices I make. I can see a lot of these lenses in varying condition the eBay, and I'm not sure what to pick, as I assume not all production series were the same. I intend on front-mounting the lens on a Copal 3s shutter, which should fit. What I need the most help with is in finding out when they started applying coatings to their lenses, as it is very important that the one I purchase lacks any coating. Most of the answers I've found in a desultory search both here and on the wider web claim it happened within a broad period in the 30's. Is there a specific series number after which I can be sure they have coatings? Additionally, will copies this old always lack front threading on the barrel? Can I assume that all 24cm 1:9 Zeiss Jena Tessars are meant to be used with a large format camera, and will accommodate movements?
    Last edited by senderoaburrido; 4-Jul-2022 at 16:47.