Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DeVere 504 questions

Re: DeVere 504 questions

Quote Originally Posted by kfed1984 View Post
    Also, does the color head make it a challenge to print B&W?
    No, it doesn't, in fact it sometimes makes it easier.

Also, is it possible to ever convert De Vere 504 for 8x10 enlargement with a custom-made head? Would it accommodate something like this, or the head does not come off in an easy way?
    Not easily or cheaply. The 504/507/5108/515 are modular, but there's a whole sequence of parts you need, along with some reasonably high precision requirements. The time/ cost expenditure of doing it well will be greater than finding a 5108.

I got an offer for $2000 CAD (about $1500 USD) for a De Vere 504, desktop version, very good condition, neg carriers 35mm to 4x5, 3 lenses for 35mm to 4x5 coverage, timer, etc. But with dichro color head.

Do you think this is a good deal/idea? My other option is Durst 1200 4x5" enlarger, but I see them on ebay for $2500 USD min.

Also, does the color head make it a challenge to print B&W? I mean there's magenta and yellow filters like in B&W head, does this make any difference? Is it the halogen bulb that creates a problem vs. tungsten?

Also, is it possible to ever convert De Vere 504 for 8x10 enlargement with a custom-made head? Would it accommodate something like this, or the head does not come off in an easy way?

Is that what they go for these days? About what I paid for my 5108 last model as new condition.
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by calebarchie View Post
    Is that what they go for these days?
    In decent condition, yes - 5108's can be twice that.

Quote Originally Posted by calebarchie View Post
    Is that what they go for these days? About what I paid for my 5108 last model as new condition.
    Where the hell did you get a 5108 for $1500, and when? Do you have any more or know anyone who has one ? LOL

what do De Vere 504 go for there days? I could not find one on ebay.

Also, which one is a better package overall: De Vere 504 or Durst Laborator 1200 ?

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    In decent condition, yes - 5108's can be twice that.
    De Vere 5108 are like $10k.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    No, it doesn't, in fact it sometimes makes it easier.

Not easily or cheaply. The 504/507/5108/515 are modular, but there's a whole sequence of parts you need, along with some reasonably high precision requirements. The time/ cost expenditure of doing it well will be greater than finding a 5108.
    How and why does it make it easier to print B&W with a color head? I heard a few people say that its a "pain" to use CMY color head for "proper" B&W printing. But B&W is essentially the same, no? without the cyan? Just the magenta and yellow filters. Or the density of the filters is deeper in one of theses heads ? Do B&W variable contrast heads use halogen bulbs like CMY color heads?

Getting a 5108 is like $10k, plus its a giant beast. I could machine the parts with good precision. The LED variable contrast head can also be engineered.

I've used both of these enlargers in a professional setting. I've also used bigger versions of both of these enlargers and horizontal versions of the De Vere.

In essence, both are really good at what they do, but, the Durst enlarger(s) work best with some pretty fancy equipment. As long as you have the various negative carriers and a good working head and power supply, you should be alright. Bits and pieces for these enlargers when new were a bit hard to obtain, I'm talking around 35+ years ago. The range of extras for the Durst enlargers that will be coming with your possible purchase, is very important. Ensure that whatever the model of Durst enlarger, can actually enlarge your film formats.

I have a De Vere 504 free standing enlarger, essentially what you are looking at except it has giraffe legs. It has one other nice trick, the table can be lowered to around 150mm from the floor and while you are on your knees using a focusing aid, you can accurately focus and only have to reach up to lock things. The table top De Vere enlargers are extremely well built and the focus lock of both the negative stage and the head stage are the best in the business. These things lock rock solid.

Alignment possibilities of the De Vere enlarger, are tremendous. Everything can be individually aligned to the millimetre. For some years I aligned my enlarger using various methods, then around 15 years ago I was able to buy a Salthill Enlarger Tool; which uses mirrors and such. I was able to adjust my enlarger to an incredible degree using all of the available and needed adjustments.

The rigid construction of the De Vere is unmatched by any other enlarger of comparable size.

As to whether you can use the Dichroic head to do B&W, sure can. There is one caveat, you really can't get much harder than grade 4½; perhaps a slight bit more. What you can do is grades in-between, as in grade 2¾ or even smaller grade increments than that.

The De Vere enlarger sounds like a good deal, you seem to be getting everything to enlarge everything from 35mm right through to 4x5" including lenses, negative carriers and the like. About the only thing which seems to wear on the De Vere head is the fan, which is on the left side of the head, a simple computer type fan replacement using the correct voltage and wattage is apparently an easy fix. As my enlarger is still running its original fan, I don't know.

In general you use two filters in the colour head, Yellow and Magenta. I often add all three filters in equal amounts to give some neutral density, as in 30C 30Y 30M and then use Y & M filtration on top of the base 30 filtration. 30 units of all three filters equals approximately 1 stop of light, which for very small enlargements enables you to use a longer enlarging time than would be possible using no base neutral density.

I'd be onto that De Vere enlarger like a rat up a drainpipe, if its in good condition.

Other than the wonky neg carrier hinges (iykyk), the Devere 504 is as good as it gets. The colour head is very useful for variable contrast but even better if you can find one, is the Variocontrast head. I have both but the vario head is a dream to use.

re:8x10. I was hoping to find a not so $$ solution to convert the 504 to print 5x7 or 8x10 but it sounds like a lot of work. The speed bump is the opening in the neg stage. I guess one could try and open it up but that would mean possibly sacrificing the enlarger if it doesn't work out.

Have fun with the Devere if you get it.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Thanks guys for sharing the information. I found that facebook marketplace is a really good place for enlargers. The good models like LPL 4500 and Durst L1200 disappear within a week. But new ones pop up all the time. The guy selling the De Vere 504 is gonna be back end of the month. If somebody else gets it, new ads should show up. But maybe not for De Vere.