Thread: JOBO pre-wash with C-41?

JOBO pre-wash with C-41?

I pre-wash my B&W about 5 min in my Jobo processor. Any recommendations for C-41 please? Thank you.

Re: JOBO pre-wash with C-41?

Dont do it, its not the same as B&W.
    Initial moistening by the developer is matched to the stacked color-layers of the film. Prewash for C-41 produces colorcast.

I pre-wash for 1 minute, nothing bad ever happened. Using the Tetenal C-41 Press Kit (1L).

I always prewash. Jobo’s latest catalog says to prewash color film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always prewash with distilled water and have had nothing but excellent results with Jobo. As Ari mentioned, the Tetenal kit (which I use) also instructs you to do so for 1 min.

I did comparison test with 5min prewash, and got some clear color cast (I can show here if wanted).
    Prewashing helps preventing streaking development with the Jobo drums, 1min maybe is acceptable.
    I do prewash for 10sek just to rinse the film surface and the drum.

When I was part of a local photo center some years back, I used the heck out of their jobo CPP2 processor. Well, with C-41(mixed from Kodak bulk chemistry), I found that using a pre-soak(tap water) of 1min x 2 (so 2min total) helped.
    I was getting streaking with Jobo 2509N reels with not presoak, and found that slowing down the rotation speed, and using a presoak, gave me great, streak free results. They offered a color and b/w darkroom with colex RA4 processor, so I was optically printing as well as scanning my film. I didn't see a color cast in my film, if anything the film seemed cleaner and brighter compared to film processed at my local LA labs.

But of course, YMMV. If I were doing it again(and will, as I now have a CPE3 but no darkroom yet to use it in), I will continue to presoak as I did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    When I was part of a local photo center some years back, I used the heck out of their jobo CPP2 processor. Well, with C-41(mixed from Kodak bulk chemistry), I found that using a pre-soak(tap water) of 1min x 2 (so 2min total) helped.
    I was getting streaking with Jobo 2509N reels with not presoak, and found that slowing down the rotation speed, and using a presoak, gave me great, streak free results. They offered a color and b/w darkroom with colex RA4 processor, so I was optically printing as well as scanning my film. I didn't see a color cast in my film, if anything the film seemed cleaner and brighter compared to film processed at my local LA labs.

Thank you for the kind response. I too use the Jobo of course but in the kitchen following a dark bag.

But of course, YMMV. If I were doing it again(and will, as I now have a CPE3 but no darkroom yet to use it in), I will continue to presoak as I did before.

I do not prewash colour film, I do prewash with PMK but not ID11