Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 roll film adapter

Re: 4x5 roll film adapter

I have a Alliance Roll-Film Camera Co Ltd camera that takes 4x5 roll film, the film format was 110, so the format definitely exist and Kodak also made cameras taking the same size film. Some of the Alliance and Kodak large roll film cameras could also use plates.

John Thornton's Patented film pack & back (ex Thornton Pickard) was taken up by Kodak and largely replaced large roll film sizes.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    4x5 rollfilms do not exist or did. 126 or 127mm yes. 126mm i think is agfa avicolor. 70mm, 126mm and 240mm were or still available, maybe also b+w.avicolor x-types x100 and x400 coming without mask, most ideal for scanning and b+w. ideal for pushing, no color-loss. 220 cost about 0.75chf/image. how much costs the ilford hp5+ 70mm? where is a price-list?
    interpolating from 220: 15m 70mm film(i think thats what is offered not 30m)would then cost 178.5 chf. which is a bit high. 357 chf for 30m i remember having to pay 320 for 3200 kodak when they had to import from usa.
    IR color kodak newest type was also expensive. agfa xrs400 cost maybe 60 chf/film. ilford would be exorbitantly 6x!
    agfa xrs400 used: sorry for the sad subject, have nothing else to show right now.
    http://www.auschwitzpanorama.tk/
    using 70mm film and cutting down to 220/120 i think can be a good idea also when using mamiya RB/RZ or hasselblad(not having 70mm back) or kiev-cams(120).
    Mamyias with rb-vaccum-back or HB 70MM, exposing then cutting down. Why 70mm? after hearing about unsharp hasselblad or mamyia RZ-images and lens being bad(i dont believe) the only source for that is lacking flatness. its the paper which causes the problem. FOR THE KIEVE60 there are tips how to improve flatness. see kievreport. there is a crazy guy in CZ which has constructed for himself 2 vaccum-backs for hasselblad. it must be on google. using it with apo 350mm wow! a user told its sharper than the mamyia-counterpart 250mm apo. but there we have the flatness-problem, solved by using the mentioned back.

the only advantage of hp5+ over CN is no hot-processing needed. avicolor x-types x100 and x400 have b+w integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Guys, guys, guys. I didn't ask about film. I'm not interested in aerial cameras. This is about roll film adapters for conventional view cameras. Try to stick to the topic at hand please.

Since no one has actually answered the questions I asked, I have a new one. Has this never in the history of view cameras been tried? That would be hard to believe.
    Smart way would be to buy an old Fairchild 9 inch aerial camera and modify the back to fit your 5x7 camera.
    The old cameras used long rolls of 9 inch film. Should solve your problem if you find a good machinist to make the modification to fit the view camera you are using.

Fun old thread.

On the bench at the moment I have an unused military roll film back possibly from a Kodak K-24 camera. The film aperture plate has a dimension of 5 3/8" x 5 9/16". The film spool measures 5 9/16" inside with a 2 5/8" diameter top and a core of 7/8". In the same box is a thick glass plate with fiduciary markings that goes over the film, touching the pressure plate. (The pressure plate draws back and the glass stays in place when film is advanced.)

More useless info?

I'm saving the glass plate for a contact printer. Or something. It is just too cool to throw away.

In thid day and age of CAD/CAM, 3-D printing and CNC machining; won't someone please design a workable light-weight "Grafmatic" type film magazine in 4x5/5x7/8x10
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 15-Dec-2015 at 05:56. Reason: I-M-N One-D Ten-T
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The hard part isn't rollfilm adapters, it's 4 or 5" rollfilm. Pretty hard to find, even among the aerial crowd. Graflex made a nice compact 4x5 rollfilm adapter, easily found on ebay. The film.... not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    The hard part isn't rollfilm adapters, it's 4 or 5" rollfilm. Pretty hard to find, even among the aerial crowd. Graflex made a nice compact 4x5 rollfilm adapter, easily found on ebay. The film.... not so easy.
    True, and I knew the day was coming. My former favorite big-time aerial film processing company has no film advertised now.

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    True, and I knew the day was coming. My former favorite big-time aerial film processing company has no film advertised now.
    getting 126mm film is no problem Agfa Gevaert Mortsel Belgium has and will always have Agfa Avicolor X400 in 70, 126 and 240mm since all the military around the world need these films. Nato/Otan is backing them.
    x-TYPE FILM= without mask, most ideal for scanning and b+w. and built-in filter. 70mm on both perforated and unperforated versions.
    where are sources outside Agfa to get this film. in switzerland its Scanachrome affoltern a/Albis near zurich. They together with agfa developped the aerofilm-copy machine with special enhancer forgot its name but i have prospectus. fabulous. is extracting HDR from film.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

has nothing to do with rollfilm but 4x5: there was once a us-company offering a motordriven 4x5-back. unbelievable but true. only saw a description. still have its name listed. when i asked them 20 years ago or earlier they told its gone.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    has nothing to do with rollfilm but 4x5: there was once a us-company offering a motordriven 4x5-back. unbelievable but true. only saw a description. still have its name listed. when i asked them 20 years ago or earlier they told its gone.
    There was a motorized 45 sheet film back. I think it was the Hawk. Never went anywhere though

Drew Wiley

A few people even managed to shoot 9" aerial film from the ground. Bradford Washburn was one of them.