Thread: De Vere 1010XLH enlarger with 4800 watt De Vere Dichromat 5 lamp house

De Vere 1010XLH enlarger with 4800 watt De Vere Dichromat 5 lamp house

I have been making large format bw photographs since 1987, and have had three darkrooms. I worked in 4x5" for over 30 years, then in 2012 I began my journey into wet collodion and ULF, which then led me to formats as large as 20x24". My favorite film format currently is 8x10", for which I use a Toyo 810 monorail camera. To enlarge these 8x10" negatives I had Frankensteined a copy camera chassis and built a wooden negative holder on top of which I placed an LED light bank which I got from Home Depot for $50. It worked surprisingly well until, while printing, the light would stop working (I'm guessing it was overheating) and I had to wait 15 minutes to continue. So, when a good friend told me about a DeVere 1010 XLH which he was getting and was going to resell, I bought it.

This enlarger belonged to the recently passed and very talented photographer Jody Forster (https://www.andrewsmithgallery.com/e...ter/index.html). He shot 8x10" for decades and enlarged up to 30x40" silver prints, with stunning results. The enlarger was marked as free to whomever could come to Arizona and pick it up. My friend made the trip and picked this up along with a Saltzman 8x10" enlarger, both in great condition and both free. It took a few weeks of research and trial and error, plus phone calls to the fantastic Kevin at KHB Photographix in Canada. As the process was complicated, and there are others with this enlarger possibly not able to get it running, I thought I would share my minimal knowledge.

Information on the De Vere 1010XLH

Voltage Regulator (external)
    Very Important: the power comes in to the external box at 240 volts, and goes into the voltage regulator. This regulator can be set to deliver any output from 0-285 volts, depending on where the “arm” sits on top of the “magneto”. We had to manually move it clockwise (important) and read the voltage output and stopped in once it read 225 volts. The reason you want to lower the voltage is to keep the bulbs in the light housing running as long as possible.

Voltage Regulator (internal)
    Inside the chassis of the enlarger is a built in voltage regulator, which attaches to a 240V-120V down stepper, which in turn is wired to the red 7 pin plug at the top left of the enlarger. This is designed for a closed loop system using the 2000 watt lamp housing (not the 4800 watt one which is what came with this set up). We didn’t touch this regulator.

Lamp bulbs
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/DeVe...rger-Lamp.html
    (DeVere # 2016 300W 120V Quartz-Halogen Enlarger Lamp)
    Total of 16 bulbs, totaling 4800 watts

Re: De Vere 1010XLH enlarger with 4800 watt De Vere Dichromat 5 lamp house

Just to one up with a Saltzman head

I have a 25 lamp Edison socket huge head

Never used it yet, I may use for flash bulbs

I also recycled a 10X10 Saltzman Mercury lamp which had at least a full lb of mercury in it

I did not want it to break inside any room I was ever in
    Tin Can