Thread: Copal 3 vs Copal 3s

Copal 3 vs Copal 3s

Hi All,
    Is there a large difference in mount size between Copal 3 and Copal 3s shutters? I have an older G-Claron 355 f9. I have had 2 Copal 3 shutters and both were much too large to mount the lens directly into the shutter.
    My 305 screwed directly into the Copal 1...

Thanks, Steve

Re: Copal 3 vs Copal 3s

Copal / Compur / Prontor shutter inner threads: 58mm for #3, 56mm for #3S.
    Identical front and back.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Lachlan 717

Short answer - they are not interchangeable.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I have a Cinelux 120mm f/2 projection lens that has a 52mm ANAMORPHIC CLAMP recently attached. I would like to attach it to an electronic Compur #3. Looks like it would work because ANAMORPHIC CLAMP's outside thread is 58mm. Right now the Cinelux is attached to a Linhof early 4x5 board so I can see its effects on my 5x7 Linhof Kardan Bi. With it attached to the front of a #3 shutter may present infinity focus problems compared with the present 4x5 board approach. Not sure how practical the "top hat" exposure method would work with an f/2 lens, that's why I am looking at a #3 shutter.

Ian Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I have an older G-Claron 355 f9
    The answer depends on the age of the lens. Early 355 G-Clarons are threaded for Compound #3 shutters and won’t directly thread into either Copal 3s’ or MOST Copal 3 shutters. I say MOST Copal 3’s because Schneider had Copal produce a #3 shutter to the Compound #3 mount spec, so even if you had an early 355, you could still have it directly mounted in a Copal shutter.

For a Copal #3 with Compound #3 threading, you'd be looking for:

Schneider Symmar Convertible 300mm f/5.6 in a Copal shutter
    Schneider Angulon 210mm f/6.8
    Schneider Tele-Xenar 360mm f/5.5 (with a front lens barrel that tapers toward the shutter)

There might be others. I have the 300mm and the 210mm, but as Compur #3 Electronic Shutters with Compound #3 threading.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I have an older G-Claron 355 f9. I have had 2 Copal 3 shutters and both were much too large to mount the lens directly into the shutter.
    Thanks, Steve
    Steve,

My 355 f9 Repro-Claron lives in a Compur 2.

There were some other Schneider lenses from that period that used Compur 2s as well. The solution at the time when the Compur 2 was discontinued was to use a Compur 3 with reducers to make up the difference in thread size (and pitch?).

Hope that helps,

Len