Thread: Series nine filters

Series nine filters

I have accumulated a lot of series IX filters including adapter rings and hoods over the years. I was going to use some for video. Does any one use these type of filters anymore? There are so many special effects filters, but with the advent of digital are most things done in "post" rather than in camera.

Re: Series nine filters

I have a S-IX adapter for my RB67, along with several filters.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

When 'ya need a big filter, those are big filters!!!

Teles come to mind, and other big glass...

Steve K

I use them on my large diameter Wollensak lenses.

Been using series 'nine" filters for decades and to this day. Have a number of 'nine' filter holders from thread (62mm to 77mm) on to push on to filter holder on a 7mm hex stick for the Sinar and more. They are good due to their large enough size for many lenses and adaptable as needed.

Tiffen made a series 'nine" roto for the polarizer. Series 'nine' filters can be stacked as needed by adding threaded rings for each series 'nine' filter. Series 'nine' filters were made in a wide variety of filter types. The set here came from Sammy's camera decades ago when they were clearing out these series 'nine' filters that have been sitting in a bottom filter drawer. Absolute bargain at the time.

They might not be the current fancy-dancy "uber coated" filter, they do absolutely get it did. They are one of four filter systems. The other is Sinar 103mm (series 103) glass, 100mm / 4" square optically good enough plastic (these work GOOD) and a 58mm threaded with step up-down adapters as needed.

Oh, there were a number of lenses that are designed to use series 'nine' filters like the 12" f4.5 Kodak Portrait Ektar in barrel and Canon 85-300mm FD zoom.

Bernice

Yep, use Series IX filters on my 10" Wide-field Ektar. I've only been able to find green and red filters for B/W, but am always on the lookout for others.
    I prefer to use the right filter for a given scene at the time I take the shot, rather than struggle more than necessary in the darkroom. I refuse to adjust anything with a digital scan that I didn't do to the original darkroom print, except for dust spotting.