Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: N.Y. Times Article: Nussenzweig versus diCorcia

N.Y. Times Article: Nussenzweig versus diCorcia

"What is the difference between "artistic endeavor" and" commercial intent""

Extract from the decision for academic study:

In essence, with regards to art the judges statement that "This analysis recognizes that first amendment protection of art is not limited to only starving artists" i.e. it does not cease to become art if the artist makes a profit from it.

...The Court of Appeals has repeatedly held that the New York statutory right of privacy restricts the use of one's likeliness against use for advertising and trade only and nothing more. It is a strictly construed statute enacted with sensitivity to the potentially competing values of privacy protection versus free speech. Messenger v. Gruner, 94 NY2d 436 (2000); Finger v. Omni Publs. Int., 77 NY2d 138 (1990); Arrington v. New York Times, 55 NY2d 433 (1982).

There are recognized categories of protected uses that are not actionable under Civil Rights Laws §§ 50 and 51. The most widely recognized protected category is for matters that are "newsworthy." Messenger v. Gruner, supra. The courts also recognize that as long as the primary purpose of the use is newsworthy, incidental or ancillary commercial use of the image does not otherwise turn a protected use into an unprotected use. Arrington v. New York Times, supra; Altbach v. Kulon, 302 AD2d 655 (3rd dept. 2003). Thus, for example, use of a likeness in connection advertising or selling newspaper subscriptions does not convert an excepted use into an actionable use under the New York State Privacy Laws. Messenger v. Gruner, supra; Velez v. VV Pub. Cap, 135 AD2d 47 (1st dept. 1988) lv to app den 72 NY2d 808 (1988). Moreover, a profit generating motive will not convert an otherwise newsworthy use of someone's likeness into one that is used for advertising or trade purposes. Dworkin v. Hustler Magazine, Inc., 867 F2d 1188 (9th Circuit) cert den 110 S Ct 59 (1989).

In recent years, some New York courts have addressed the issue whether an artistic use of an image is a use exempted from action under New York States Privacy Laws. Altbach v. Kulon, 302 AD2d 655 (3rd dept. 2003); Simeonov v. Tiegs, 159 Misc 2d 54 (NY Civ Ct 1993); Hoepker v. Kruger, 200 FSupp2d 340 (SDNY 2002). They have consistently found "art" to be constitutionally protected free speech, that is so exempt. This court agrees.

Even while recognizing art as exempted from the reach of New York's Privacy laws, the problem of sorting out what may or may not legally be "art" remains a difficult one. Some states for example, limit art to transformative and not duplicative likenesses. See for example: Comedy II Publications, Inc. v. Gary Saderup, Inc., 25 Cal 4th 387 (2001) cert den 534 US 1078 (2002) [only transformative art was entitled to 1st amendment protection against California]. Other states have limited exempted use to original works of fine art, but not to distribution of reproductions. Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Social Change, Inc. v. American Heritage Products, Inc., 250 GA 135, 296 SE2d 697 (Sup Ct 1982).

New York has been fairly liberal in its protection of what constitutes art. Altbach v. Kulon, supra; Simeonov v. Tiegs, supra; Hoepker v. Kruger, supra. In Hoepker v. Kruger, the [*7]court recognized that art can be sold, at least in limited editions, and still retain its artistic character. This analysis recognizes that first amendment protection of art is not limited to only starving artists. The analysis in Hoepker is consistent with the primary purpose/ incidental purpose doctrines, that have developed in connection with the newsworthy exemptions to privacy protections. A profit motive in itself does not necessarily compel a conclusion that art has been used for trade purposes. DiGregorio v. CBS, Inc., 123 Misc 2d 491 (Sup Ct NY Co 1984).

In their moving papers defendants have prima facie shown that the photograph is "art". This is not a subjective determination, and cannot be based upon the personal preferences of either party or the court. Defendant DiCorcia has demonstrated his general reputation as a photographic artist in the international artistic community. With respect to the HEADS project, DiCorcia has described the creative process he used to shoot, edit and finally select the photographs, ultimately used. The photographs were not simply held for sale in the Pace gallery, but they were exhibited and reviewed by the relevant artistic community.

None of the HEADS photographs were used to advertise anything other than the HEADS collection. The catalogue portfolio was used to advertise the exhibition, which is a permitted use under Civil Rights Laws §§ 50, 51. Altbach v. Kulon, supra.

Plaintiff does not raise any additional facts from which a conclusion could be drawn that the photograph was used for trade. There is no dispute that an extremely limited number of the photographs were sold for profit. There is also no dispute that Pace is an art gallery, not a museum, with a commercial objective of financial profitability. These facts in themselves, however, do not otherwise convert art into something used in trade. They do not raise a sufficient factual basis to challenge defendants prima facie showing that the photograph is art....

---------

This raises another question: when does a photographer have to have a model release signed?

Not in this case...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Abuser of God's Sunlight

"How do you know, that you're so confident to dismiss him as a fraud?"

my little satire isn't about calling him a fraud ... although i suspect he's more about the dollars than any higher principle, based on all the other details. anyway, i'm making fun of him for calling a picture of himself a "graven image." A graven image is an image of a deity to be used for idolatry. i don't honestly think he has to be worried about this, regardless of whether or not he's offended.

anyway, i'm making fun of him for calling a picture of himself a "graven image."

Then I do object, because you're taking his choice of words out of context and inverting his meaning in order to have your fun. You may think his conclusion foolish. But the line of reasoning that led to it has nothing to do with declaring or even imagining oneself to be an appropriate object of veneration - quite the opposite.

I can't be fussed to trace through whether it was just the Times that misused "graven image" or whether Nussenzweig's legal brief misused "graven image" - either way the meaning isn't inverted - just used wrongly - the term refers to carved statues (of idols - generally accepted as "other' false gods). The correct reference would be to a certain understanding of the second part of the Commandment - the apparent prohibition on the making of any image of a living thing.

Mainly it's either sloppy reporting or sloppy theology. Way OT...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Abuser of God's Sunlight

if it's a case of sloppy reporting, then i owe mr. Nussenzweig an apology.

but if it's indeed sloppy theology, then i'm going to build my totem.

anyone who calls himself orthodox-anything, much less files a multi million $ lawsuit even partly on behalf of the word of god almighty, had better get his theology right.

Mr. Nussenzweig didn't file the suit, his lawyer did.

I believe Mr. Nussenzweig only became aware of the photograph of him when someone else brought it to his attention and sugested something be done; he just doesn't strike me as the type who casually peruses art gallery catalogs.

Goldberg said "his client's religion forbids, and he has a deep conviction against, reproducing his image by photography or other means because of the belief in the Second Commandment's prohibition against graven images."

apparently it's his lawyer who doesn't seem terribly well versed in old testament theology

semantics really - the case is "Erno Nussenzweig, Plaintiff,

against

Philip-Lorca DiCorcia, PACE/MACGILL, INC., AND OTHERS etc"

his lawyer files the suit on his behalf

Nussenzweig's son saw the image in the exhibition catalog

again - Nussenzweig's lawyer: "It's a beautiful picture," Goldberg added. "But why should this guy make money off of your face?"

The motive is completley blurred - is it because he objects to the photographs on religious grounds as a previous post quotes him as saying? Or does he object to the artist making money off the image - if you sue for 1.6 million, it looks much more like the latter.

The case has always had much more of the ring of opportunism than a moral objection. Were DiCorcia a starving artist rather than a fairly successful one, I'd wager they wouldn't have bothered with the case.

There isn't anything approaching unanimity amongst Orthodox Jews whether simple photography constitutes a "graven image". It's not like Islam where there are near-absolutes. (Although, like Islam, the 3d implications of the literal meaning of "graven" are mostly ignored)

In fact, I shot a Chanukah outreach event for a co-worker this year, definitely Orthodox (she can't even shake hands with a guy), given their outreach activity I'd guess Lubavitch Hasidic, but I never actually inquired. I shot a bunch and nobody noticed or cared. Several folks had PS's and there was even one with a dRebel. Now, different sects of Hasidics can have very different rules, so Nussenzweig might well be telling the truth, but my understanding is the vast majority of the Orthodox have at most a mild aversion to photography.

Here's an article on this (search the page for "Nussenzweig", its about halfway down)

chaptzem.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_chaptzem_archive.html

that points out that, while 50 years ago the Klausenberg Hasidics (Nussenzweig's sect) were anti-photo,

""But that prohibition has weakened in the last two generations," Hertzberg said. "I know very few people who still have a problem with it."

My personal guess is that they understood that the religious angle would have no effect on the direction of the verdict. But if Nussenzweig had won, it could very well have had an effect on the magnitude of award.

One of the lines between "art" and "commerce" is that with art, the picture itself is all you're trying to sell. With commerce you're trying to sell something else, whether via an advertisement or a decoration on a useful object such as a t-shirt or a coffee mug.

There also seems to be the assumption that "art" is the product of one or maybe two people. Somehow Hollywood movies end up completely unprotected, even though the practical difference seems very small. Of course, there's a lot more legal activity regarding movies because there's almost always someone worth suing, which is very seldom the case with street photographers.

When I was young newspaper photographer I was assigned to photograph a farmer's market.

Upon arriving I discovered it was run my Amish!

So I approached to eldest man to explain myself and my sensitivity of not offending his faith.

The man listened, and when I finished my request to photographed the Amish workers in the shop, we said "It's advertising not graven images." And then added "Go on and do your work."

The very wish man saw the value of people coming to his market. He saw the value of the article in the newspaper, with photography, as a means to get people to his market. So in his thinking I was not making religious images, I was simply helping him make money.

This from the mouth of an Amish elder! Smart fellow.

Sounds like Nussenzweig was sold on the money by his lawyer.