Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using a Zone VI enlarger for 5x7, or other alternatives?

Re: Using a Zone VI enlarger for 5x7, or other alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    My recollection is that the Zone VI version I light source is undersized for 5x7, but that was fixed in version II. Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge can weigh in.
    This is exactly right. The story as I heard it from the Calumet Project Manager for the Zone VI product line, was that the Type I was originally designed as an oversized 4x5. Then someone observed that it "could" be sold as a 5x7. So they did.

After they purchased Zone VI, Calumet designed the Type II Zone VI 5x7 enlarger that was large enough to actually print 5x7 negatives. When they introduced that enlarger, they also had designed a retro-head for the Type I that had a larger light source for 5x7 negatives. In the years since, I've seen only one for sale on EBay.

I have a Type II currently. Zone VI made an adapter for Beseler heads, as did Calumet of the Type II. I have the Calumet version to adapt a 45s Beseler color head to my Zone VI Type II. Works great for 4x5.

If you can find a Type II with a 5x7 head that works well, you would have a nice system. You could probably enlarge 5x7 negatives using the Type II 8x10 conversion kit. But, I think that you would be stuck using a 240mm lens, so enlargement size might be limited. You would also have to customize a 5x7 negative carrier. But, this would be relatively easy. There are also 3rd party for the Type II. If you found a Type II with a non-functional, Type II light source, one might be able to customize it with some sort of alternative light source.

Agreed. You have to be sure you get the right one for both sizing and coverage.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Yes, the sandblasted "center filter like" defusion glass and the heat absorbing glass are critical to have. The ones I had were clunky but $25 a piece for the 5x7.
    Various versions, some had metal masks that would slide in from 4 sides. I hate glass carriers, but the Elwood carriers (glass) allow proof strip enlargements of 35mm film. I had a Beseler 5x7, fancy motorized thing, all the wiring had degraded, lucky I didn't get electrocuted.
    Somewhere I have a original cast aluminum adapter that allows 4x4 Beseler lens boards to be fitted to an Elwood.

I abandoned my last Elwood when I last moved, kinda miss it. But not that much
    If I may borrow a term that Jason Schneider of Modern Photography used to describe Russian cameras, I would say that the construction/fit/finish of my Elwoods was... agricultural.

Thanks to everyone for filling in the Zone VI information.

If I may borrow a term that Jason Schneider of Modern Photography used to describe Russian cameras, I would say that the construction/fit/finish of my Elwoods was... agricultural.

Most of those cameras were Ukrainian.

Durst 138/138s enlargers in their various permutations seem to turn up surprisingly often. They're not bad machines & aren't terribly difficult to get functional (and check on Kienzle's list of new parts for them). Otherwise, the Omega E/ MPP Micromatic are remarkably compact - and the AF/ cam focus versions make the control layout bearable. Best of the lot would be a De Vere 507, but they tend to be pretty thin on the ground outside western Europe - you're likely to have more luck finding a floor-standing 5108. Kienzle also make some nice new 5x7's, if you want to invest - and they can be had with the Heiland LED head direct from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Most of those cameras were Ukrainian.
    Fair point! You should blame my possibly-faulty recollection, not Jason Schneider.

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    . . . I've never figured out how the timer knows which tube to adjust. The LED source is very nice, out of my price range.
    I believe that the blue and the green have internal circuitry that controls each color independently. So, they each have their own sensor. Connecting a compensating timer links the timer to a third sensor that helps compensate for temperature changes, electrical fluctuations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    Agreed. You have to be sure you get the right one for both sizing and coverage.

Brian
    The Type I has a single column that connects to the lens stage. The Type II has two columns. The I and II have different size lens stages, and each is the same size as the two corresponding heads.

Thanks for the valuable input, everyone! Currently I'm not seeing any Type 2 models on ebay or anywhere else. I am seeing a few Durst 138s, though, so I will probably gravitate in that direction.

My 2 Elwood on a 'pedestal' are ART DECO with Swan Neck

The Wall mount 5X7 Elwood uses the same parts but without the lovely Swan Neck

The moment I saw one in a Detroit Basement it was love at first sight

Yes function followed form, but art is art

I have 2 5X7 Elwood running

I could almost run with either as they are delecatl made of cast aluminum

The 8X10 cast iron one gave me a hernia

Tin Can