Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: contact printing

Re: contact printing

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    If you no longer have an enlarger what is the "best" way to make contact prints (B/W) of 4x5, 5x7 and 4x10 sheet film?
    I suggest a simple setup which you can add functionality to as you go (or not):

1) A dim lightbulb mounted high, a sheet of clean glass and enlarging paper, or

2) Find a used, small, very cheap enlarger. Doesn’t have to be in particularly good shape. It’s just a somewhat easier-to-control light source (for example it is trivial to add variable contrast filters to your exposures if you have an enlarger). And a sheet of clean glass.

18x24cm Mammo Norma 121mm F45 18 pops C171 Beauty Light Grid by Nokton48, on Flickr

Testing Kodak Mammography 18x24cm in HC-110 "H" 6.5 mins at ambient. 8x10 Sinar Norma 121mm F8 Sinar Norma Schneider Super Angulon on Norma Vertical Copy Arrangement. Shooting straight down at F45. Broncolor C171 Monolight with Broncolor Blue Pulso Beauty Dish, popped eighteen times with shutter on "B" to build up the density. Contact printed Omega DII with Omegalite Arista RC #2 Matte paper Multigrade developer. Digital background shot by Tim Layton and was blown up by me at Costco. It was dark red so I guess I should have expected a lack of density on the right. Live and learn. Highlight tonality looks decent to me. 18x24 XRay film is easy and fun to shoot
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Incandescent bulbs are not as easy to find nowadays, but were easy to get in a wide variety of brightnesses. I use 7.5W and 15W in my safelights -- and 25W might be a good choice for you. I haven't seen the same variety in LED's, etc. What type of bulb were you planning on using?
    FWIW...a 1w LED bulb is about the same as a 15w incandescent bulb. If you know the wattage you want, you can find a nice variety. Ebay or Amazon gives plenty of results for E26 .5w LED bulbs, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    FWIW...a 1w LED bulb is about the same as a 15w incandescent bulb. If you know the wattage you want, you can find a nice variety. Ebay or Amazon gives plenty of results for E26 .5w LED bulbs, for example.
    One issue I ran into when testing LED bulbs for contact printing is that they don't power on / off instantly. Certainly could have been the bulbs I tried, but it's something you might want to pay attention to, if you go the LED route.

And incandescents don't turn off immediately either. Something to consider, and adjust for, when doing quality work. Increasing the exposure time can make this factor less significant.

Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

1948 had a shortage of men

Tin Can

I put a 15 watt light bulb in a fixture mounted in a campbells soup can, and hung it about 4 feet over my work table. For a year, this is how I made 8x10 contact prints before getting an enlarger. Its not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I put a 15 watt light bulb in a fixture mounted in a campbells soup can, and hung it about 4 feet over my work table. For a year, this is how I made 8x10 contact prints before getting an enlarger. Its not difficult.
    I copied watercolor paintings on to 4x5 Fuji 64T for years. Had to wait till dark outside and all the house lights off. Set up the lights in the living room bay window.
    This approach would not be practical for contacts and besides the family might object. I like the tent approach better.

Paul

Everything is difficult until one learns and succeeds

I never learned to write script or stay within the lines

I never spoke a word until almost 4, then full sentences

All traits of Autism, I was called stupid for a long time

Not stupid, my mind spins much faster than most

I love watching our chief architect's halting speech

Elon is thinking and talking
    Tin Can