Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Monitor That Calibrates Well

Looking for Monitor That Calibrates Well

Hoping to get some good suggestions based on personal experience.

I have a budget of around $600 and I'd like to invest in a new monitor. It must be a 27-inch monitor and be VESA compatible. Running M1 Mac.

I realize options are limited at this price range, but there should be some gems in there that people can recommend.

Looking for a monitor that will respond well to calibration units such as the SpyderX Pro. The monitor should have enough built-in adjustments to help calibration, such as color temperature settings, RGB adjustments, etc

If it doesn't have good built-in controls for a good starting point, there's only so much the Spyder can do.

My first look around produced a Dell Ultrasharp U2720Q.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Looking for Monitor That Calibrates Well

I've never used a ViewSonic, but I've been told by two guys at B&H whose views I respect that ViewSonic monitors are good value for money.

I've been running an NEC MultiSync PA241W (24 inch) for years and I've been very happy with it. One major aspect that I like about these monitors is their built-in hardware calibration which IMO is more accurate than software-based solutions. NEC's calibration app interfaces with several of the "pucks" out there, but you should do some research if you're interested in one of these monitors. I believe the 27" goes for around $650 so only a little bit more than your stated budget.

It's hard to beat BenQ on either price or performance. I bought my 24" for about $400. They're designed for graphic arts with 10 bit data depth, a 14 bit lookup table, and a color gamut that's 99% of Adobe RGB '98. Unlike others, BenQ makes their own screens. They were recommended to me by B&H, and I've been pleased with mine. They also have their own color management software that's slick. Here's mine from B&H . . .

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...xga.html/specs

Here's the 27" version, but with an improved 16 bit lookup table (at double the price) . . .

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ips.html/specs

Ari,

Neil is correct, the best 27" wide gamut monitor for the money is a BenQ. I have three on my desk. Use the X-Rite Calibrite ColorChecker from Freestyle to calibrate it. Buying from them includes very detailed instructions on how to effectively use it.

-Joshua

Thanks, gents. I'll look into all of your excellent suggestions.

I'll add to the BenQ fan list, I got the 270C- didn't need the 4K. This one is excellent edge to edge even illumination and the Palette Master sw works really well, super stable and works great with the M1 mac mini. The go to youtube guy is- Art is Right BenQ. Everything you need to know about the monitors is there.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...

Thanks, Bruce. Reviews note some variation in QC, but it does seem like an impressive monitor for the price.

Anyone have experience with the ViewSonic VP2785 ?
    Only asking because it has nearly identical specs, 99% RGB, etc etc but is half the price of the BenQ SW27O.
    https://www.displayspecifications.co...ison/4c3add909
    Thanks

I was prepared to return it if needed, as I am in NYC and its easy (at B&H) the kids over at Luminous landscape tend to look down on it too. I've had mine for over a year now with no issues. i would have gotten the 27 inch NEC pro monitor if the BenQ didn't work out. Thankfully I've been very impressed, it easily outperforms my old high end NEC. If you end up with the BenQ I would follow Art is right for calibration parameters - I'm am getting beautiful results with printing and workflow in general.
    http://brucekatzphoto.com

Original join date 2008...