Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Promo Video for 8x10 Film

Ilford Promo Video for 8x10 Film

Ilford published this video on YouTube a few days ago. It was made by Natalie and Andreas Oberg, who are special effects artists for computer games, and features Natalie Oberg, who is also an Ilford "Ambassador" and large format photographer.

Some Technical Stuff:
    The camera is a Chamonix and the lens is a 150mm Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Symmar XL. The film is Delta 100. The video was shot with cameras that the Obergs use for special effects work - a RED Helium 8K Super 35, and a Phantom High Speed Camera (1,000 fps) for slow motion.

If I have a criticism, it's that the Obergs and Ilford should have engaged a dialogue director/editor. I think that the delivery of the narration is too laid back, and that the narration and music are out of balance, making it harder than it should be at times to follow what Natalie Oberg is saying.

Apart from that, I like the film. It should get a lot of views.

Last edited by r.e.; 11-Mar-2022 at 17:35.

Re: Ilford Promo Video for 8x10 Film

Really nice and thank you for posting it!

I watched it a couple of days ago on YouTube. It is a nice video!

That's really a nice little movie. I love what Ilford is doing online. Brilliant, engaging short films.

Finally

old school meet new school

Grumpy Old Men was a MOVIE

'the finger'
    Tin Can

Devils advocate says: They produced a Digital Video about analog film. Her pack did not fit all that well either so I am guessing they are near a road. There seems to be a trend to promote attractive women with cameras, when they show an outing with Drew W. I'll be impressed.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I liked the "movie". It inspired me to do more with LF. At 77 I will not be climbing hills etc. But I should be able to take my giant (23+lbs) tripod, out of the car/truck and attach the 4x10 (modified Linhof Kardan TL) or the 5x7, a Linhof Bi Kardan, and take some shots. I wish it was easy to get some E6 developed! I still have a 10 sheet box of Provia in the freezer and a splitter (Fotoman) for easily making 4x10 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    Devils advocate says: They produced a Digital Video about analog film. Her pack did not fit all that well either so I am guessing they are near a road. There seems to be a trend to promote attractive women with cameras, when they show an outing with Drew W. I'll be impressed.
    Of course they're near a road. It's a promo film, not a wilderness documentary. For one thing, there is no wilderness in Wales.

As the beginning of the film says, this was shot at Snowdonia. Snowdonia is a national park, but by American and Canadian standards it's tiny, a postage stamp. It's been settled by humans for at least 5,000 years, and there are 26,000 residents within the park. The drone shot shows footpaths and day hikers. Snowdonia is a popular destination.

The film was made by the two Obergs and an assistant, who are doing a shoot with two high-end digital filmmaking cameras, a drone, and the gear, including camera support gear, needed to operate them. It may well have taken more than a day to shoot this. The pack is probably full of foam or clothes or whatever as filler.
    Last edited by r.e.; 12-Mar-2022 at 09:16.

Wait a minute, are you calling Drew unattractive?

Agree, however, there are already plenty of actual films shot on film of grumpy old men using 8x10 cameras.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.50.02 AM.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	225560

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.48.39 AM.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	225561

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.47.44 AM.jpg