Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rittreck View 5x7 camera manual

Question Rittreck View 5x7 camera manual

Hello do any of you have a copy of the manual of this camera that you could share? I'm trying to find a few details about its external dimensions so I can double check if it could fit inside one of my bags. I did a quick Google search already. Thanks in advance!

Re: Rittreck View 5x7 camera manual

I have the manual at home. If someone else doesn't jump in before this evening, I'll post it somewhere you can get to it.

I found the perfect bag for my use of the camera--the Domke F-833 (I always use shoulder bags, not backpacks.) Its discontinued, but B&H still has them for a lowered price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_Courier.html

It has two padded inserts that devides the bag equally. The Rittreck fits in one of the inserts, so I took out the second insert and centered the insert with the camera. That leaves two tall narrow spaceson either side of the camera. In one I put 2 or 3 lenses (depending on the size of the lenses.) In the other I put all the misc doo-dads like a Linhof lens board adapter, loupe, light meter, etc. The front pocket will hold 4-6 5x7 film holders. Then I lay the dark cloth on top and close down the top and fix the velcro.

Thr only flaw is that loaded like that, the bag is pretty heavy, and unlike the smaller F-803 Domke satchel, the bag doesn't have good support under the bag, so I bought some extra Domke strap material and will have a seamstress sew that in place.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I have the manual at home. If someone else doesn't jump in before this evening, I'll post it somewhere you can get to it.

I found the perfect bag for my use of the camera--the Domke F-833 (I always use shoulder bags, not backpacks.) Its discontinued, but B&H still has them for a lowered price.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_Courier.html

It has two padded inserts that devides the bag equally. The Rittreck fits in one of the inserts, so I took out the second insert and centered the insert with the camera. That leaves two tall narrow spaceson either side of the camera. In one I put 2 or 3 lenses (depending on the size of the lenses.) In the other I put all the misc doo-dads like a Linhof lens board adapter, loupe, light meter, etc. The front pocket will hold 4-6 5x7 film holders. Then I lay the dark cloth on top and close down the top and fix the velcro.

Thr only flaw is that loaded like that, the bag is pretty heavy, and unlike the smaller F-803 Domke satchel, the bag doesn't have good support under the bag, so I bought some extra Domke strap material and will have a seamstress sew that in place.
    Thank you! I'll look forward to that post. You must have strong shoulders ;D. I'll check out this bag because that should give me a rough idea of the dimensions.

What tripod do you use with the camera? And what's your set up: 4x5, 5x7, or 8x10? I'm guessing you're enjoying it?

I’m using it solely for 5x7. I have better cameras for 4x5, and 8x10 for the Rittreck looks pretty clunky (and expensive.). Right now my tripod is an older Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 with a 3047 3 way head, though I’m looking at building a Gitzo G340 setup for it. The Bogen is a bit too small for 8x10, so for that I have a Zone VI “lightweight” wood tripod.

The reason I use a shoulder bag is not steel shoulders, but rather knees and ankles made of cheeze whiz (motorcycle accident, and more titanium than bone in my knees). I am physically unable to kneel, and a backpack usually requires removing it and placing it on the ground to operate out of (at least in the places I shoot), while a shoulder bag I can load and unload while it’s on my shoulder. If you think the Rittreck is bad, I have a shoulder bag for a Sinar Norma 8x10. That’s kind of the limit for me.

here is the manual

rittreckview_manual.pdf

here is the manual

rittreckview_manual.pdf
    Thanks!

here is the manual

rittreckview_manual.pdf
    That's what I need.

Good information.

Thank you

here is the manual

rittreckview_manual.pdf
    almost two years after, but I thank also for the file.
    I am considering to buy a Rittreck View for 5x7/13x18 and I couldn't find manuals. I searched a bit with online japanese translation, without luck.
    So it's very nice to find this. I uploaded the manual also on free storage:

https://disk.yandex.com/i/p_BddsnFq_qAUQ

the specs are not mentioned in that pdf, but I found a site where a good soul put them:

http://4nalog.blogspot.com/2019/06/g...cm-format.html

Bed:

342 mm (14") forward extension
    54 mm (2") backward extension
    396 mm (16") total extension

Front standard:

50 mm rise
    35 mm fall
    21 degrees swing each side
    25 degrees tilt forward and backward

Rear standard:

28 mm shift left and right (actually a lot more than that but the scale only marks that much)
    18 degree swing each side (also more than that but will go off the scale)
    25 degrees tilt forward and backward
    1 degree micro tilt backward

Dimensions:

328 x 252 x 88 mm
    3.2 kg (7 lbs) body only

Options:

6x9 roll film back
    4x5" rotating back (with folding hood)
    8x10" extending back
    compendium lens hood
    + lots of other goodies if you know Japanese

Pacific Rim Cameras has a brochure listing accessories:

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00690/00690.pdf

The 1 degree rear tilt is unique

Made for studio portraits

I never could see it

Literally!

bad vision

I also hear it is a Portrait Camera

for people with great eyes
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The 1 degree rear tilt is unique

Made for studio portraits

I read in some of the many discussions here or elsewhere that it was a studio camera in Japan. Yet it looks very sturdy and ideal for carrying. Now most large format cameras are used a lot outdoors it seems. My 8x10 was arts schools students camera for practice of studio photography, I did reinforce it quite, did small modifications in order to use it outdoors and carry in rucksack.

I have two 5x7/13x18, the ubiquitous FKD, because I found it by pure coincidence in a shop for very little, with lens, so why not. It's light and good when not much movements are needed. The other, and first, I made myself, because I wanted something smaller than 8x10 I was already using, but was unsure and didn't want to buy a commercial camera that I would have to resell if I didn't like. I was using 5x7 with a homemade 8x10-5x7 reducing back but not the same than carrying around a 5x7 camera.

the FDK is ~3kg, my homemade is ~2kg. It's sturdy: oak baseboard steel reinforced. Compared to the FDK;

I have to make new bellow, it's a bit tedious and hard to match thinness of commercial ones.

I am very tempted by a Rittreck because it will be faster to set, then fold and pack again I think, for just like 1 kg more. Yet 1kg more ....

I am often on Yahoo Japan auctions through Buyee, and I spotted another interesting similar camera, the Toyo Sakai, but it is for the 4¾ x 6½ format...