Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A great video comment section for anyone that likes to argue on the internet :-)

Re: A great video comment section for anyone that likes to argue on the internet :-)

Another flavor of photography video media:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RPbjwxEUSY

Bernice

Re: A great video comment section for anyone that likes to argue on the internet :-)

It takes years

My eulogy to mother slideshow with music took 10 years to hit 250 views

I have a few more, slow, low attendance

I no longer care what whippersnappers think

We are lucky they have not done a Mao

I do find it interesting that we can murder all teachers, entrepreneurs, 'leaders'

and not ruin the gene pool
    Tin Can

How do these individuals become "Leaders" _?_

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It takes years

My eulogy to mother slideshow with music took 10 years to hit 250 views

I have a few more, slow, low attendance

I no longer care what whippersnappers think

We are lucky they have not done a Mao

I do find it interesting that we can murder all teachers, entrepreneurs, 'leaders'

and not ruin the gene pool

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Thanks Bernice. I liked this the first time that I saw it and still do. I also learned alot from Tim's technical videos. Very good stuff.

Exclamation Re: A great video comment section for anyone that likes to argue on the internet :-)

Bernice
    Thanks. I added his video below to my watch list. It will take a while but it looks worth it. The large prints look beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post

Added to my watchlist, thanks.

The gentleman, who I gather from an earlier thread you've known for a long time, has a very interesting YouTube channel; for me, the non-technical videos in particular. In addition to being a photographer/printer, he's also an accomplished classical guitarist.

Yes, Tim and me share a long history together.

During the 90's when Tim ran Color Three Labs, we shared viewing our prints together. At one point Tim got really jazzed with one of my B&W prints, gifted that print to Tim.

Bernice

The gentleman, who I gather from an earlier thread that you've known for a long time, has a very interesting YouTube channel; for me, the non-technical videos in particular.

Drew Wiley

Oh, Mitch Epstein... one more interesting 70's type. But his words hardly match the fact he was himself within, amidst a rather self-conscious and now set-in-concrete genre, hardly unique to himself. He sounds more like his own art critic than conveying what he actually felt when taking those shots, which in fact is something often best left unspoken, and which images tend to do better simply on their own. But an interview is an interview, so the map gets redrawn. I certainly enjoy seeing his work anyway, despite his artificial sermon, and appreciate the interview link. He had a good eye.
    Last edited by Drew Wiley; 9-Mar-2022 at 16:02.

I would characterise Mat Marrash's videos as instructional videos. He's actually a good example of what I talk about in post #5. He has a standard procedure for showing his photographs. He does a zoom out and holds the full photo, full frame but bordered by black bars, for about four seconds. This is long enough for a viewer who wants to have a good look to pause the video. In the video that you linked, see 10:50,14:47, 18:26 and 20:23. The photos are shown for a total of about 16 seconds in a 22 minute video. Maybe I misunderstood your post #4, but to my mind this does not satisfy the criticism.

Marrash's approach is typical, although there are variations. In his latest video (below), Thomas Heaton uses a combination of a pan and a zoom-in and holds the full photo twice as long as Marrash, but with a good deal of negative space around the photograph. The inclusion of camera settings will hold the attention of most viewers. I think that Heaton has a good sense of pace and that his method works better. Obviously, some people address the problem by using their photo editor (Photoshop, Capture One) as a frame for the photo accompanied by technical observations. Except in a video that is about editing, I don't think that this works very well.
    As for Thomas Heaton, I have the impression the just starting to use film during covid-19 when he could not do workshops. It feels a bit to keep the followers around.
    I find it always incredible when he has a good image with film, don’t ask me why but there is something wrong with his way of working.