Thread: Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Selling All 8x10 Gear & It Feels Good!

After years and years, I'm selling all my 8x10 gear, and strangely, it feels good. Not that 8x10 isn't a worthy format; we all know the opposite to be the case. But, I'm just not an 8x10 person; I'm a 4x5 and medium format person.

So, why did I collect this gear? In part, I was inspired by Ansel Adams, and how he made such good use of the 8x1o format. Someone asked him, what's your favorite camera, or words to that effect. He responded, the heaviest one I can carry. So, all of that influenced me. And practically speaking, every once and a while, it's been nice being able to capture an 8x10 image for the detail and texture that it can offer. But, no more. I'm in my 70's, and I need to "pare down." Oh my gosh, to what low levels have I descended to actually admit to, "paring down?" Jeepers!

In a John Sexton workshop that I took, he mused similar sentiments. He's just always been a 4x5 type of person. He admitted to owning an 8x10 camera; but, he wasn't sure where it was in the house.

Life can be full of transition, and this definitely qualifies as one.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 28-Feb-2022 at 12:52.