Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you Stenopeika 5x7 users have time to post a review?

Re: Do any of you Stenopeika 5x7 users have time to post a review?

Find yourself a user condition Deardorff Special with the 5x7 back. Should be roughly similar in price.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Find yourself a user condition Deardorff Special with the 5x7 back. Should be roughly similar in price.
    Thanks! I thought about it, and since 5x7 enlargers are rarer and more expensive, I will probably stick to 4x5. I got spoiled after making a 10x10 print from just a 120 negative! I want to make enlargements.

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Thanks! I thought about it, and since 5x7 enlargers are rarer and more expensive, I will probably stick to 4x5. I got spoiled after making a 10x10 print from just a 120 negative! I want to make enlargements.
    Ya know maybe just keep your eye open. I have a Chamonix 57N and it's a delightful camera and format. Plus a 4x5 reduction back makes a big difference in versatility while being not much larger than a dedicated 4x5. The negatives are sufficiently larger to make a clear difference as well without all the 8x10 hassle.

Enlargers will be a challenge...but heck I saw a Zone VI posted a few months back for free so they're out there.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Ya know maybe just keep your eye open. I have a Chamonix 57N and it's a delightful camera and format. Plus a 4x5 reduction back makes a big difference in versatility while being not much larger than a dedicated 4x5. The negatives are sufficiently larger to make a clear difference as well without all the 8x10 hassle.

Enlargers will be a challenge...but heck I saw a Zone VI posted a few months back for free so they're out there.
    Thanks! Is the Chamonix the only 5x7 you've tried? If not, how did the rest compare? The Chamonix is pricey but they have a solid reputation. There aren't any videos about their 5x7 cameras on YouTube.

I replace handles with brass ones. Original handles on camera are small and uncomfortable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NxgyI7dgbfc.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	226327
    More photo to my instagram:
    www.instagram.com/dendorff_bw

OP search this forum for reviews
    Tin Can

Hi, I don't know about the 5x7" but I own and I've been using the Stenopeika Hyper 8x10" for a good whole year now.
    I owned the Intrepid 45 and I own and use a Chamonix 45N and an Horseman 45HD.

The Hyper is the only 8x10 I have experience with; I find it a very good starting camera. There are few awkward things (rails protruding form camera body with short lenses, flimsy front standard, ground glass not finely grinded) but not real flaw in my experience.
    I would say that the 5x7" is at the same building quality, though I cannot state it for sure.

I had very bad experience with Intrepid, I will not go for their cameras anymore.

About Chamonix, you know, expensive but their cameras are gems.

my upgrade Stenopeika Hyper 5x7

p.s. next, replace the glass and front standard (flimsy) and back standart lockers.

Name:	photo_2022-04-08_17-27-12.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	226340
    More photo to my instagram:
    www.instagram.com/dendorff_bw

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Thanks! Is the Chamonix the only 5x7 you've tried? If not, how did the rest compare? The Chamonix is pricey but they have a solid reputation. There aren't any videos about their 5x7 cameras on YouTube.
    I've used Deardorff and Chamonix 5x7s. The Deardorff can do more, has longer bellows and double extension. The Chamonix I have is horizontal only and much lighter which I wanted. I think both are fabulous cameras, but I think you can find a deardorff maybe for a little less money.

Quote Originally Posted by Deardorffuser View Post
    my upgrade Stenopeika Hyper 5x7

p.s. next, replace the glass and front standard (flimsy) and back standart lockers.

Name:	photo_2022-04-08_17-27-12.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	226340
    Hello Den,

I replaced the plastics washers for the rise/fall locking with metal washers. That was the only way for me to prevent the front standard to slide down with heavier lenses (even my 300/5.6 Symmar was too heavy to be locked, now it is ok). I couldn't see scratches on the side bars, so it looks safe.

About the ground glass, the original one of my Stenopeika was a drama to focus with in dark scenes and not because it lacks the fresnel lens but because it was machined-grinded. I asked Stenopeika for a solution and I bought a finely manual-grinded ground glass which is now perfect.

As I've experienced, the Hyper needs to be tricked a little bit to be used with good results.

The decision for me was that I didn't want (and I couldn't afford) to spend 2500€ for an used Zone VI or Tachihara (just to name two cameras that can be found in Italy at "fair" prices).
    With half the price I got a new camera (with a new bellows!) that I'm happy to shoot photographs with.

I hope this helps
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing