Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuji 210mm. f/5.6 with 67mm filter ring.

Re: Fuji 210mm. f/5.6 with 67mm filter ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    ...you could choose between (or own both) the Fuji L 210 single-coated tessar...versus the exceptionally crisp and contrasty MC Nikkor 200 M. Both are...at f/9, a little less bright focusing than the 5.6 W plasmats...
    The 210mm Fujinon L has a maximum aperture of f/5.6. The 200mm Nikkor M has a maximum aperture of f/8.

Drew Wiley

Nice to see the guard dog is still awake and on patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Nice to see the guard dog is still awake and on patrol.
    I always post to correct factual errors no matter who makes them.

Drew Wiley

Yes, I did check your post. And, in fact, thank you for correcting my slip-up. Perhaps I should have had another cup of wake-up coffee this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ig Nacio View Post
    Hi,

Thank you for your message : )!!!

Yes, when I look here:
    http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/byfl.htm

Both these lenses are 67mm.; both are engraved
    on the outer ring only with a 'W'. In spite of
    only having a 'W' marked on the ring, the above
    webpage marks it with the 'N', so it is 'NW', or
    as you mentioned: 'NWS'.

That lens, your lens, from pictures on the internet
    does not seem so tall when standing mounted or
    unmounted. The rear cell, the bottom part, does not
    seem to protrude much. The upper part looks shorter
    and less massive than its 'CM-W' counterpart, and
    also not as big as some lenses from Schneider and
    Rodenstock.

I wonder if you may be able to please measure the length
    of the rear cell, from the lens board to the bottom of the
    lens; and to please measure from the lensboard to the top
    of the lens, including the shutter. I would appreciate it.

Thank you again, kind regards!

Fujinon did not bring clarity to the table when identifying its various lenses. Although their literature shows W, NW, and NWS indicators, all of the lenses are simply marked "W". It is, as you note, more precise to refer to the later EBC outside writing lenses as simply "NW" even though many of those NW lenses underwent significant design changes while still nominally within the NW family, such as different size filter rings, moving from 6/4 to 6/6 all air-spaced designs, etc.

My initial training in experimental physics causes me to prefer actual personal measurement and data rather than looking up what someone else may or may not have gotten correct, so here's a photo that I just took of the Fujinon 210/5.6 NW EBC lens on edge next to a ruler. The Technika-style lens board is precisely on the 3" mark, the front element (including thin UV filter) is almost exactly on the 5" mark, and the edge of the rear elements is on the 2"mark, although parallax makes it look slightly longer. It is a Copal 1 shutter. You should be able to scale any other measurements from the photo and scale. The front is 67mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fujinon 210 NW.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	225047

Ig Nacio, my Fujinon f/5.6 210mm outside lettering marked "W" is multi coated, with a 67mm filter ring and wonderful.

I have since mainly replaced it with a Fujinon 250mm lens as I wished for a longer focal length, there is nothing wrong with my 210mm unit.

I measured the front projection at 42mm, the rear projection at 24.7mm and my wooden home made board at 3mm, which is irrelevant to your issue.

I have a Shen Hao HZX45-IIA wooden folder, this lens cannot be reversed and left in the folded camera. The smaller Fujinon 150 does fit when reversed with the folded camera.

Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fujinon_210mm_Front_42mm_IMG_20220226_105041.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	225048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fujinon_210_Rear_24.7mm_IMG_20220226_105108.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	225049

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Fujinon 210mm f/5.6 with the 67mm filter size was the newest and, presumably, the best iteration of this lens. It is multicoated (EBC coating) and should be an excellent performer on a par with newer comparable lenses from Schneider, Rodenstock and Nikkor. I can't imagine that it would have worse color rendering than any of its competitors.

Still, with the 67mm filter size and the "built-in" lens shade (the larger-than-needed flare to accommodate the larger-than-needed filter) I find it at a disadvantage when compared to other similar lenses with smaller filter sizes.

FWIW, like Drew, I find the 210mm Plasmats generally to large and bulky (I've concentrated on putting together a lightweight kit). My lenses in that focal-length area are the 203mm f/7.7 Ektar, the 180mm f/9 Fujinon A (yeah a bit wider, but close still) and the 210mm f/5.6 Fujinon L (the largest of the bunch, but a sweet single-coated Tessar with lots of coverage for 4x5). The Nikkor M 210mm f/9 would be great and really small if you can lay your hands on one; they're getting pretty hard to find. The Schneider G-Claron in that focal length (f/9 I think) would be great if you can find one mounted in a shutter. There are others in that focal length that are smaller and more compact than the Plasmats too.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

Funny how a few LF types still scratch their heads about Fuji performance, while pro video and TV crews often think "Fuji first", and don't hesitate to drop anywhere from 15 to 75 K at a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Fujinon 210mm f/5.6 with the 67mm filter size was the newest and, presumably, the best iteration of this lens...
    That version is conspicuously marked "CM FUJINON W." Ig, is that the one you were inquiring about?

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : )!!!

Unfortunately, that Fuji 210mm. will not be able to make the configuration I had expected by reversing the lens.

Thank you @Joseph Kashi and @Mick Fagan for making the measurments : )!!! My camera allows for 3cm., a bit over an inch, to the f
    ront of the 'shell'. That was initially perfect, because the rear cell could have gone in that direction without any problem.

However, the camera only allows 4cm. in the direction of the ground glass or to the rear of the camera. The lens is
    already 5.15cm., a bit over two inches, including its thin filter. One could take off the ground-glass-hood combo, but it may not be
    an optimal storage solution inside the bag. That's why one has to compromise with the other options, if one wants the lens to stay
    inside the camera.

I find all these 67mm. options, all in 210mm. focal length, as excellent lenses. I will definitely would like one of these options
    in the future. This Fuji lens, and the ones from Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikon all look very cool!

@Sal Santamaura - This Fuji 'W' version, that only has a 'W' writen outside the ring is quite nice. This lens because of the 67mm.
    filter thread may in some aspects resemble the 'CM-W' version. But from pictures, the 'CM-W' version looks bulkier, even though
    it has the same same 67mm. thread.

Thank you again, kind regards!