Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which lens type for Sinar F1 ?

Which lens type for Sinar F1 ?

Hello,

I'm new to LF - still building up a system in fact.

I have the Sinar F1 and some Fidelity Elite backs. The main thing missing now is a lens :-)

Should I go for a behind the lens shutter and shutterless lenses, or with normal lenses in a (copal) shutter? I'm only aiming to get a few lenses (90, 150 and something longish 300 or 360+500).

Thanks,

colin

Hi Colin,
    welcome to the world of LF. I started out with a Sinar F1 as well - what a great camera. I really learned a lot using that camera and the built-in shift/tilt/and DOF dials. I would strongly suggest to use regular lenses in Copal or Compur shutters, because like me you might get a different camera later on and the Sinar shutter might not be of any value to you then for the new camera - and trust me you do want to keep that precious glass you are buying! LF is an interesting phenomenon - your first camera is never the last, you always end up buying additional lenses - even if you are convinced that you would only need three. Interchangeability is key in my opinion. Again welcome and let us know how you are making out! This is a great forum to get help - I know it has kept me going:-)
    Juergen

Properly set up, the Sinar shutters could be very nice. But I've heard and felt them impart vibration to the camera when they go off -- but maybe the one I saw wasn't working 100%. Also the official Sinar hardware for mounting a shutterless lens is almost as expensive as a new Copal! However, if you are buying used lenses off eBay, often the shutterless Sinar mounted lenses are a good deal because few people want them (which will bite you back if you go to resell them).

Modern lenses in a modern Copal (or better yet, a Compur) are really great. You can use them on different non-Sinar cameras too.

You can argue it both ways of course. Sinar tells you a single camera shutter is more consistent. Going with regular Copals is safer because if one goes, you can still shoot with another lens. I think the vibration is less and the system is definitely lighter with Copals/Compurs.

If you are going to do a lot of field work with the Sinar you might consider mounting the lenses on a smaller Technika lensboard and buying one of the Sinar to Technika adapter lensboards that are being made in China and sold on eBay. The smaller board - at least for lenses in Copal 0 and 1 shutters - makes it easier to pack the lenses.

The SK Grimes website has a lot of good info: http://www.skgrimes.com/

Hello Colin, welcome to LF. I also have an F1, good choice.

I agree with Juergen, go for the copal shutters. In the field you will want to be as light as possible, and once you get a kit you don't want to have to change lenses, or shutters, if you change cameras. I also have a 3lb. Toho for long hikes. It takes Linhof lensboards so I bought an adapter for the Sinar and mounted all of my lenses on lighter Linhof boards.

Try KEH camera brokers, Badger Graphics, Midwest Photo Exchange. There are other good options for used equipment, but these I have dealt with and they usually have a good selection and reasonable prices. Four of my five lenses I have purchased used.

If you are new to large format may I suggest some reading

Using the View Camera, User's Guide to the View Camera or Large Format Nature Photography are all books that will be helpful. Sinar also did an intro book specifically about using thei

have fun

steve simmonsr cameras.

There are several articles on our web site that will be helpful

www.viewcamera.com

and then go to the Free Articles section

Get lenses in thier own shutters so you can use them on other cameras as well

Hi Colin,

I whole heartedly agree with Frank's comments. I had 2 of the Sinar Auto-shutters and sold them off along with all the DB-mounted lenses. Consequently, I replaced them all with Copal mounted versions and haven't looked back since!

When the shutters worked, they were great for consistency and ease of use! But, when they packed it in... that meant you couldn't use ANY of your DB-mounted lenses. That was a royal pita! I sent mine back for repairs too many times to count. So, personally, I wouldn't/couldn't recommend the Auto-shutter. BTW, mine were both brand spanking new too!

There are those folks who have had no problems with theirs (and they love them)... but, sad to say, I'm not one of them!

In addition to Steve's suggested readings... I'd also highly recommend Jack Dykinga's and Larry Stone's books. The other one that is quite informative is the Kodak Large Format book, which is out of print but can usually be found in used bookstores. The grandaddy of all LF books is the bible by Stroebel but, IMHO, it's quite a challenging read (I'm still struggling through it!!!) I'd definitely start off with the others before tackling the Stroebel book.

Good luck... have fun and welcome to the LF community.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Here are the three books I recommended in my post

Jim Stone's User's Guide to the View Camera, Jack Dykinga's Large Format Nature Photography, and my book Using the View Camera. Also, the Sinar basic book which is specific totheir cameras.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

You don't need any stinking books or antique media. It's all right here...

Thanks all.

I'd more or less come to the same conclusion. Lenses with shutters it is.

Now.... does 300 EUR for a used (good condition) Sinar Rodenstock Sironar-N 210/5.6 MC in a copal 1 shutter sound OK?

Thanks, Steve, for the book recommendations.

Frank, :-)

Yep, that's a fair price and a great lens.