Hello!

I recently built a rig for taking multiple images of 4x5 sheets with my dslr and a macro lens. I've been experimenting with different levels of magnification and I'm running into some issues.

At first, I made a stitched scan using 9 exposures at 2:1 magnification, resulting in an image that was about 190 megepixels.

Then, just for funsies, I created a scan using 49 exposures at 1:1 magnification, resulting in an image that was 600+ megapixels. I realized immediately that this was overkill, but I was impressed with Photoshop's ability to successfully merge 49 photos.

Next, I aimed for a middle ground: 25 images at 1.5:1 magnification. I used a different sheet for this run, and for whatever reason, Photoshop is unable to make sense of it. Lightroom successfully merges the exposures but Lightroom doesn't have a "reposition" mode so the boundaries of the image are severely warped.

The rig I have is designed to capture each image with a 40% overlap between each row and column (as per Adobe's recommendation) so I really don't think overlap is the issue. The only thing I can think of is that most of this sheet is out of focus (selectively) and maybe it needs sharp content to compute the merge?

Here's what it ends up looking like:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 10.31.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	224565
Any ideas?