Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Developer Formulas for C-41 film?

Re: Developer Formulas for C-41 film?

4g/l of sulfite doesn't sound right for c41. If the hydroxylamine is a problem, I'd suggest using a more same amount of sulfite (ca 1.0 ~ 1.5g) and just leave out the hydroxylamine sulfate. Mix immediately prior to use. Adding more sulfite is not a good idea as it inhibits dye formation and hence influences color balance. What's more, this will likely happen differently in higher and lower layers of the emulsion, so color balance will become a veritable mess. You can correct anything in PS of course, but why not start with something decent. Hydroxylamine sulfate is easier to get than CD4 anyway so I don't really get the idea behind leaving it out.

In the DIY formulas I did not see much difference between the bonavolta recipe and the more fancy recipes that include potassium iodide.

Koraks, I have used this formula with a variety of films with good results as indicated earlier. The 4g/l works well. The OP wants a simple formula and this is as simple as it gets for C-41, but can use other formulas with HAS if desired.

Like I said, anything can be corrected in PS. I don't doubt your results were satisfactory to you.

I'm also aware of what Sandy is looking for. Hence my earlier comments. The Bonavolta recipe is as simple as it gets without cutting unnecessary corners.

Even simpler is just to get some ready-made chemistry from one of the big retailers. If the need to process at various temperatures is there, I don't doubt that any of the existing products on the market will perform similarly, even if they are not specified for lower temperature processing. For instance Kodak will probably *never* indicate their C41 developer can be used at lower temperatures since they seem to adhere quite religiously to the C41 standard (which, in the end was theirs to begin with, of course). Personally I don't see much benefit in wanting to process C41 at lower temps due to the relative ease with which the solutions can be held at 100F/37.8C and the relatively short processing time this is associated with. Why bother trying to do it at 20 degrees which takes a loooong time and gives mediocre/bad results.

Grant Haist "Modern photographic processing", vol.2
    This book in two volumes is present at the moment on big auction site, there is actually a pile of them.

Buying pre-packaged chemistry is getting more expensive and harder to find available, so if one is really into color processing it is a good idea to learn how to mix from formulas. It also allows one to experiment. The chemicals are powders and last for years. I can mix my own developers for both C-41 and RA-4 as well as b&w. At present I still buy pre-packaged bleach-fix for RA-4.

As mentioned earlier, low temperature processing can induce crossover as the film/process is designed to give parallel curves only at 100F. Severe crossover is not correctable by simple color balancing, but must be corrected in PS by adjusting the curves which may take some time and skill, so one might as well do the process at the proper temperature to begin with.

I do not scan my negatives but only print optically, and my developer formula gives good gray scales and overall color. I do have more complicated formulas but then I have to stock more chemicals, and don't see that it is justified.

Thanks for the great information about simple formulas. I definitely plan to eventually mix my own but for the time being have decided to experiment for now with a two-solution kit sold by CineStill since I have no previous experience with developing C-41 films and though this might be good introduction to the subject. But eventually I want to be able to mix my own so all of the comments pro and con are very useful.

I purchased the two volume set from Grant Haist himself back in the early 2000s. He died in 2016 so the volumes available now could be from his estate, he mentioned to me that he had quite a number from the publisher. The book is an incredible resource and I have made a lot of use of it over the years in my work with B&W film developers.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

I purchased the two volume set from Grant Haist himself back in the early 2000s. He died in 2016 so the volumes available now could be from his estate, he mentioned to me that he had quite a number from the publisher. The book is an incredible resource and I have made a lot of use of it over the years in my work with B&W film developers.

Sandy
    The seller made an announcement on social media platform, indeed these second edition books are from the author estate.

Re: Developer Formulas for C-41 flm?

When reading “ Camera & Darkroom magazine” I became interested so I did a search. It appears that it not only be out of business but the price for used magazines is crazy.

Re: Developer Formulas for C-41 flm?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsmac View Post
    When reading “ Camera & Darkroom magazine” I became interested so I did a search. It appears that it not only be out of business but the price for used magazines is crazy.
    Hello, honorable men.
    Allow me to participate in this discussion.
    The formula suggested by the respected colleague, indeed, is a good and simple formula, but it really needs (HAS)
    In fact, I have never tried any formula without (HAS), and I don't know how to dispense with that element.
    - I don't want to try it on any grounds, I managed to get an excellent alternative to that ingredient and at the same time it's very cheap (Hydroxylamine HCl).
    - If you are only preparing the developer and buying Bleach, what are you doing here? Practically, you did not save money, unless you bought a large gallon for a huge amount to live with you for several years.
    - I like to prepare copper bleach, which is characterized by its longevity and also the advantage of being the cheapest bleach on the planet.
    - But it just needs some effort and extra time during development.
    You will need a pre-bleach solution and a disinfecting solution (after bleaching).
    Pre-bleaching solution + disinfection solution cost no more than a few cents. They can work to produce 24 rolls.
    Copper bleaching solution, its cost will also not exceed a few cents and maybe a dollar, and it can produce 8 rolls and can live for years on the shelf without expiring.

The attached pictures, were produced using this strange process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2022-04-13-0072.jpg   2022-04-13-0041.jpg   2022-04-13-0051.jpg   2022-04-13-0063.jpg  

It’s a damn shame what happening with these prices. I just looked up Grant Haist and volume one is going for $160