Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Cable Release for Linhof Technika III

Original Cable Release for Linhof Technika III

I see in the Linhof Technika III guide that the cable release should clip or attach somehow to the front right focusing knob standard.

How was this done? I see two holes on the locking base, was there a set of registration/mounting pins on the handle of the release?

I'm guessing this was a special cable release? I'd love to find one of these cable releases. Did that release have a special name to help me find one?

Thanks,

Dennis

Re: Original Cable Release for Linhof Technika III

The 4x5 Technika III made from 1946-1958 went through a bit of an evolution and actually had 3 types of cable release clips. The 1946-1948 had a small bracket just in front of the focus wheel. The 1949-1953 models also had a bracket but this one is about twice as large as the first type it was moved aft of the wheel when the focus lock was changed from a wheel to a lever type. The last type used a plastic tube ring with 2 pins to hold the cable release. Pin holes were located just aft of the focus wheel instead of the bracket. Pin holes were also located just above the handgrip as well. This last type was also found on 6x9 and 5x7 cameras and lasted into the later model Technika's into the 1970's... I will round up some photos and post the different types. Seems likely you are searching for the tube with pins type...

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    The 4x5 Technika III made from 1946-1958 went through a bit of an evolution and actually had 3 types of cable release clips. The 1946-1948 had a small bracket just in front of the focus wheel. The 1949-1953 models also had a bracket but this one is about twice as large as the first type it was moved aft of the wheel when the focus lock was changed from a wheel to a lever type. The last type used a plastic tube ring with 2 pins to hold the cable release. Pin holes were located just aft of the focus wheel instead of the bracket. Pin holes were also located just above the handgrip as well. This last type was also found on 6x9 and 5x7 cameras and lasted into the later model Technika's into the 1970's... I will round up some photos and post the different types. Seems likely you are searching for the tube with pins type...
    Thanks Embdude,

Yes, by your description I'm looking for the tube type. Now, when you say 'Tube' was this something built into the cable release or was it a separate 'Tube' that you would slide the cable release through and the tube would hold it in place?

As an aside, I have the hand grip and the Linhof cable release and after I posted this original question I had the camera outside doing some handheld testing. I was thinking about all the images of the Technika that I've seen with the handgrip and they always had a crazy steep angle to the grip. I never could figure that out. But holding the camera the other day in a vertical position was killing my wrist and I though 'oh wait,' and I rotated the grip to where it was almost vertical and the ease of holding it was suddenly tenfold.

So, don't worry about finding pictures, unless you have one of the tube. I'm probably set with using the handgrip but it would be nice to find that alternative mounting if I know what to look for. This almost seems like a 3D printing possibility as well? Frankly reaching over to the lens and tripping the shutter isn't so much of a hassle either, but I kind of like the alternative support options having the cable release gives.

Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

d

This is the later style tube with pins... Same size as the hole in the linhof anatomical grip. The Linhof cable release is fat at the plunger end to fit snug in this or the grip...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_57-71.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	224552 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6355.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	224553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-14 copy 9.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	224554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linhof-original-4x5-cable-release-holder-for-technika-iii-iv-v-early-master.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	224555

The earlier style was like this to fit in a clip...

Name:	Linhof-20cm-Cable-Release-_57-3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	224560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof-20cm-Cable-Release-_57.jpg 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	224561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Technika III E Early 114.jpg 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	224564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1953 Linhof Informationen 1953 Industrie Sondernummer 5 Katalog 11.jpg 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	224566

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    This is the later style tube with pins... Same size as the hole in the linhof anatomical grip. The Linhof cable release is fat at the plunger end to fit snug in this or the grip...

Name:	$_57-71.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	224552 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6355.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	224553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600-14 copy 9.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	224554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linhof-original-4x5-cable-release-holder-for-technika-iii-iv-v-early-master.jpeg 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	224555
    Thanks Embdude, That's the cable release that I have but I don't have the two pronged holder. Probably because the camera came with the handle grip. Now I know what to look for, but I'm realizing I'll probably never be able to put a strap on the side of the camera body as there are no strap connectors, so I guess it's a bit of a moot point.

Still thanks for the info and great pictures. Very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Thanks Embdude, That's the cable release that I have but I don't have the two pronged holder. Probably because the camera came with the handle grip. Now I know what to look for, but I'm realizing I'll probably never be able to put a strap on the side of the camera body as there are no strap connectors, so I guess it's a bit of a moot point.

Still thanks for the info and great pictures. Very interesting stuff.
    When you unscrew the 2 screws holding the grip adapter plate on the camera you then have the mounting for the strap. The strap has a metal plate that is screwed onto those 2 screw holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    When you unscrew the 2 screws holding the grip adapter plate on the camera you then have the mounting for the strap. The strap has a metal plate that is screwed onto those 2 screw holes.
    That's great to know, thanks Bob. Now to find the strap assembly! Along with that shutter release tube.

I kind of like the idea of the strap and wrapping my fingers around the front of the camera body. Which do you guys prefer? Seems anything to lighten the load would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    That's great to know, thanks Bob. Now to find the strap assembly! Along with that shutter release tube.

I kind of like the idea of the strap and wrapping my fingers around the front of the camera body. Which do you guys prefer? Seems anything to lighten the load would be nice.
    Any repair station can supply the Master Technika and the mounting plate and screws.

Here is my homemade solution.
    A piece of aluminum (2mm), file for 5min (think for the little secure ball),
    a piece of suitable silicone tubing and then glue the tubing into a filed notch.
    The universal Tech III trigger holder is now ready for work.
    I think it is very usable until I find the original.

Name:	2354ABB6-050C-4CCB-B003-37E644553CCB_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	224588

Name:	25D9C942-5E3D-4BCA-951D-2CFB7225F7EF_1_201_a.jpg 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	224589