Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 4x5 or 617

Backpack for 4x5 or 617

I'm looking for a (currently made) backpack that I can use for 2-5 mile hikes that will be configurable to carry either my 4x5 Wisner and a few lenses and holders OR my Fuji Pro 617 with a 90mm and 180mm lens and a bunch of film rolls. I use a Gitzo carbon tripod (24") with both when hiking. I'm having trouble finding a quality product that will cover both situations and/or is still available. Any ideas? The configuration of the 617 lenses is a bit odd which is causing part of the problem.

Thanks

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuji-gx617-body-feature.jpg  

Re: Backpack for 4x5 or 617

I use Tenba Axis backpacks for digital and 8x10. They are terrific.
    Three sizes to choose from. I can tell you that the smallest 20L pack can hold a lot of gear.
    The 32L is the largest and my 8x10, 3 giant lenses and 3 film holders fit in there.
    They're streamlined and compact packs, high-quality, and comfortable.

For day hikes with 4x5 gear, I use regular camera bags inside a regular, external frame backpack. No need for a separate pack just for camera gear -- in my book.

I appreciate that but I also have to bring this on a plane as carry-on luggage. I should have mentioned that as well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I appreciate that but I also have to bring this on a plane as carry-on luggage. I should have mentioned that as well.
    A bit spendy, but you might look at the Goruck GR1--it's in a sub-category of packs called 3-day "assault packs" that to my mind are a bit more useful to the photographer than hiking/backpacking designs. They're usually panel-loaders in the 30-50 liter range, with squarish packbags that lend themselves to toting around ICU's (not to mention fitting in overhead bins.) The better designed packs will also have an internal molle/PALs field that helps with organization if you can find compatible pouches/bags.

FWIW, my travel kit goes into an old Kifaru Marauder, with a (sadly discontinued) f-stop Harney camera bag mated to the internal PALs at the top. Otherwise, you'll find a lot of bags at different price points, some with a definite "Tactical Timmy" vibe, others skewing toward the "gray" design philosophy.

David Schaller

For a hiking pack with an excellent design, look at the Mystery Ranch Y-zip packs. I use an older Dana Designs pack for my Wisner tech 4x5, and a Dana Terraplane for 8x10. The newer Y-zip designs make your gear very accessible.

I have not had any problem bringing large backpacks on planes -- of course they have to fit according to the airlines' requirements. If you don't have such a pack, there are tons of used ones on EBAY -- in like new condition -- for pennies compared to new. Whether it's internal frame or external is up to you.

I just ordered both the 20L and 24L Tenba. Good suggestion. It looks like they are configurable and will fit on as a carry-on piece of luggage.
    Brian

One option is to shop for a genuine hiker's backpack. Get one that fits you right, that you can carry for miles.

Then adapt it to your camera gear with a dedicated photo gear insert.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have a 40L REI hiking pack, not the best, but thats a different subject. Have my 4x5, lenses, etc in a cheap camera cube i got on Amazon, inside the pack, with room for other stuff. Flew with the setup recently, no issues.