Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outdated Film and Paper

Re: Outdated Film and Paper

Almost certainly the paper will have significant fog, and higher tones may suffer a bit. Add some benzo or KBr (anti-fogging agents) to keep from coming out grey. Or, add a small volume of developer from a previous session to "season" the fresh paper developer.

The film will also show some slight fogging, resulting in slightly higher film speed. Look up Howard Bond articles in PhotoTechniques. Of course test the film beforehand with a textured target placed on Zone VII. Then look for texture.

Mike

Recently shot a lot of 4x5 films expired in 1980 and 2000 and they are all fine. The only exception is one pack of Kodak Plus-X expired in 1980. It came in sealed paper bag but no outside box. Even given two cardboards around the films inside the paper bag, the films appear exposed (or severely fogged). But I can still get some images out of it.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    Hi, got 100 plus 7x5 sheets of Delta 100 film which is outdated by 4 years. It has been in the fridge all of the time since I have no darkroom as yet. Would it be ok or would I have to give it extra Dev time or what. Or would it still be ok? I have 24x20 paper the same. Not been in fridge but been wrapped in silver foil but again kept cool. What do you think?
    hi jimbobs.

have you souped anything yet, I'm dying of suspense!

John

Like!

Quote Originally Posted by newtorf View Post
    Recently shot a lot of 4x5 films expired in 1980 and 2000 and they are all fine. The only exception is one pack of Kodak Plus-X expired in 1980. It came in sealed paper bag but no outside box. Even given two cardboards around the films inside the paper bag, the films appear exposed (or severely fogged). But I can still get some images out of it.

Tin Can

Several years ago I took a big chance and acquired many (mostly unopened) 50 sheet boxes of 11x14 and 100 sheet boxes of 8x10 Agfa Portriga Rapid FB paper. No dates on the boxes but one opened box was marked "5/94". For regular printing, forget it. Nothing I tried gave me close to acceptable results. For Lith printing, excellent results from the start. Still experimenting with different dilutions and temperatures of Lith A & B developer. Better than any conventional paper out there for Lith printing in my opinion.