Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Can you guys critique my website/portfolio of my large format photography work?

Re: Can you guys critique my website/portfolio of my large format photography work?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    There are lots of people with MFA degrees in the County jails. They're there because they have to make a living any way they can. I met many of them when I was an intern in my MS program in Criminology.
    Ah. That's the part I missed.

Re: Can you guys critique my website/portfolio of my large format photography work?

Teaching at the college level is an insane grind. You’ll likely end up as an adjunct making 3500 a course without benefits. It’s a single person game because you have to be willing to move at the drop of a hat across the country if a tenure track position opens up. OR a very understanding and supporting partner.

I teach private high school… I make as much as a MassART tenure faculty member but it’s certainly a different flavor due to the age difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

multiplex

There are lots of people with MFA degrees in the County jails. They're there because they have to make a living any way they can. I met many of them when I was an intern in my MS program in Criminology.
    nothing like stealing a corpse to do portrait work

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    I teach private high school… I make as much as a MassART tenure faculty member but it’s certainly a different flavor due to the age difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    some of the kids in high school programs are insanely gifted, they've been using a camera of some sort since, well, since they were born, and PS and other editing tools are like 2nd nature. must be a lot of fun.

Since we are discussing artists who want to make it BIG, here's an editorial from yesterday's New York Times regarding this exact topic:

Opinion

David Brooks Feb. 10, 2022

What the Beatles Tell Us About Fame

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    nothing like stealing a corpse to do portrait work
    Vincent Price started this FAD in The House of WAX -- 1953!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045888/

Since we are discussing artists who want to make it BIG, here's an editorial from yesterday's New York Times regarding this exact topic:

Opinion

Thanks for sharing that xkaes, I found his take on fame to be very interesting.

Best,
    -Tim
    Last edited by Timmyjoe; 12-Feb-2022 at 17:04.

Opinion

We do tend to think in groups. We see it here when critiques are given. When a few of the original posters say something positive, it tends to go that way with others. If someone dares to make bad comments, then people feel it's now OK to pile on. We often check our opinions to see what others think before we state them so as not to be embarrassed. To be part of the crowd. I see that at my photo contests where everyone wants to be seen following the rules. Originality suffers. If you hang out with dogs, you get fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    If you hang out with dogs, you get fleas.
    Are you referring to Three DOG Night?

Also, aren't fleas a type of beatle??

One COLD night ?

Bernice

Are you referring to Three DOG Night?

Value of art is often perceived. Ansel Adams as an example of the first photographer to be mass marketed by a business MBA William Turnage. Prior to this connection artist were much on their own at times with help from established galleries to create a means to sell and publicize their work. The Ansel Adams & William Turnage partnership came at a time when environmentalism was much in the US of A public eye which aided significantly to the value of those AA images for the masses.

~In time vast volume printed posters of AA's images flooded the market, distributed by nearly every possible means of media distribution. Mass volume = mass $, public notoriety, fame and all that comes with it. All this drove the collectable value of certified original AA prints in the mind-eyes of collectors. Once this happens, the content of the works becomes lesser than the connection to the creator as the brand identity is where the perceived value resides beyond the creator himself.

With mass $ comes mass legal and related "issues" like disputes over this box of discovered negatives.
    https://news.artnet.com/art-world/co...ns-ugly-108004

Any wonder why Brett Weston tossed negatives into the fire place?

All this brings up what is the true value of art disconnected from the monetary and fame aspects of art?
    Keep in mind Vincent van Gogh sold maybe two paintings in his lifetime and highly criticized by his peers at the time for creating paintings that were not... marketable. Who are the ones that eventually benefited greatly from Vincent van Gogh's work after his passing?

Bernice