Thread: Running Book Review: D’Agostini/Rose - 19th Century Great Britain & Ireland Lenses.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Running Book Review: D’Agostini/Rose - 19th Century Great Britain & Ireland Lenses.

This is the 3rd book which Corrado D’Agostini has been associated with. The first two covered France and Germany, respectively.

The book can be obtained from Corrado. There may be alternative solutions for those outside of the EU to escape import VAT.

There is a new publisher/printer, but the general appearance/size is the same as the previous books.

Following the trend in the second book - German lenses - there is a further reduction in the companies given Chapter status.

There is a major editing issue as the listing of contents Corresponds to pages, but the chapter numbering is either absent or incorrect. The text Line editing programme has produced some ugly spaces in an otherwise attractive layout.

Only Ross, Dallmeyer, Grubb (Ireland), T,T &H and Horne, Thornthwaite & Wood are given this chapter status.

A quick perusal of the more than 350 pages confirm that the information/illustrations of the Ross and Dallmeyer “stories” are the most wide ranging and complete available. There is much information here, along with illustrative material that I have not seen before. Grubb is interesting too, but the temptation to include a lot of Grubbs’ work with major telescopes should have been resisted.

As in previous books, the scientific contributions to early photographic experiments and invention make up the first four sections. Herschel, Fox Talbot and many others are included, along with practitioners like Henry Colleen and Claudet. At last, someone has researched and included the glass available for these early lens makers. Are these sections the work of Mr. Rose?

I think this volume is best described as an excellent account of the contributions made by Ross, Dallmeyer and TTH towards photographic lenses - along with the work of real practitioners in the 19th century. This appears extremely well done - also as regards author’s ability to communicate in an engaging manner.

I am less impressed by the inclusion of Grubb and Horne, Thornthwaite and (Wood). This later firm was one of many UK/London photographic outlets either using other people’s designs or even other firm’s production. I personally find it very useful as I have (had) quite a few of their lenses. To be be honest, Grubb’s contribution to Photography was finished with his early Aplanatic/Double Aplanatic - and other lenses mirrored what other manufacturers were selling.

Enough for now!
    I’ll add comments as I work through the detailed sections - and I hope others will join in a running review,

There is a rapid “thumb through” here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q2QoSL-92E
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 21-Jan-2022 at 08:40. Reason: YouTube link