Thread: Ilex shutter #5 bent shutter blade, are all #5 identical?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ilex shutter #5 bent shutter blade, are all #5 identical?

My Kodak 14 inch has a blank face Ilex #5 shutter bought here for reasonable money and I just discovered there is a light leak through the shutter due to what seems like a bent blade.

I also got a black face #5 back from the mechanic with a message he could not repair as the shutter needs new made parts not available. I want to open this shutter to see the shutter blade conditions.

On a side note, picture is showing the front insert to make it smaller for the 12 inch Wollensak f4.5 lens it came with which fit directly in to a Betax #5.

So my first question is: Do all Ilex #5 have the same shutter blades in common?
    Second is: How do I take this apart? After front ring and timing ring, removing three long screws, I see nowhere to split it.
    Third, do anyone know if Skgrimes.com still makes new shutter blades?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Re: Ilex shutter #5 bent shutter blade, are all #5 identical?

This is by no means a definitive answer, but the shutter blades on all of my different "generation" ILEX No 5 shutters look to be the same.

I once had a Betax No 5 in which the blades were all messed up. For little money I acquired a broken Betax No 5 and transplanted the blades. I very rarely see broken shutters FS, but posting a WTD ad seems to be a great way to find them.

Not sure about the blades themselves, but there are several different front and rear thread sizes and lens cell spacing options for the Ilex #5. I'm also trying to piece together a working one for my 14" C.E., and none of the replacement shutters I've purchased will take the Kodak elements.

Seems that if someone could source the right material, they could be made again.

Kodak-Ilex# 5 shutters are unique to Kodak. They do not have the standard Ilex# 5 threading and possible different lens cell spacing.
    Kodak customized each lens cell set to a given shutter or lens barrel by adjusting their threaded adapters lens cell to the specific shutter/barrel. This is why simply swapping parts that thread together has a very high risk of causing optical mis-alignment then reduced optical performance.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by fj55mike View Post
    Not sure about the blades themselves, but there are several different front and rear thread sizes and lens cell spacing options for the Ilex #5. I'm also trying to piece together a working one for my 14" C.E., and none of the replacement shutters I've purchased will take the Kodak elements.

Seems that if someone could source the right material, they could be made again.

(Shrek)

As an amateur blacksmith, or should I say former amateur blacksmith with 2 titanium shoulders, it's not hard to straighten a bent shutter blade. Easier than sourcing a new one, usually. So please keep all the parts, if you take the blade from another shutter. These are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    As an amateur blacksmith, or should I say former amateur blacksmith with 2 titanium shoulders, it's not hard to straighten a bent shutter blade. Easier than sourcing a new one, usually. So please keep all the parts, if you take the blade from another shutter. These are hard to find.
    I actually believe they are not metal, but some sort of rubberised cardboard, or bakelite.
    The rubberised stuff can be used heat on, but not the bakelite.

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    I actually believe they are not metal, but some sort of rubberised cardboard, or bakelite.
    The rubberised stuff can be used heat on, but not the bakelite.

I didn't think any shutter blades post- Unicum period were made of laminate materials. Once shutters reached 1/50 or so, the stress of the rapid opening and closing would rapidly degrade the connecting holes. And it's not like they didn't have tempered spring steel in 1920.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Second is: How do I take this apart? After front ring and timing ring, removing three long screws, I see nowhere to split it.
    If it is as the #4 ACME I took apart, then you just need to "wiggle" the next piece out of the black "cup". It is just very tight fitted together.

New parts shouldn't that hard for an Ilex. Compared to a Compur they are very simpel. I hardly remember if there a gears in it.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

There is absolutely no steel parts reacting to a magnet, and there is no metal shine.
    Fastest speed is 1/50 second, so bakelite is still an option.

Picture of working and light leaking Ilex #5 for 14 inch ektar